Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S75D batteri swap - upgrade to 90?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on the new pack.
Since you're in a newer car, I would like to see your supercharging curve with that new pack.
My video is with a 2015 model s
I'm curious to see if newer components give better charging speeds
I believe Jason Hughes mentioned a few components needing to be upgraded in order for the older 2012-2014 Model S cars to take advantage of the faster Supercharging rates. I usually see our 11/13 built S85 peak very briefly at 116-128kW, but one time recently I saw it hit 134kW and held above 100kW for several minutes.

One thing I find interesting in your video comparison between the old 400V "85" and the new 350V "90" is how off the estimated time remaining is. The former being off by as much as 16 minutes while the latter was still off by 8 minutes (even though it added an extra 15kWh). I'm hoping for a reasonable upgrade in the near future.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I believe Jason Hughes mentioned a few components needing to be upgraded in order for the older 2012-2014 Model S cars to take advantage of the faster Supercharging rates.
is that the wk057 guy? i asked for clarification on that in multiple threads which i was ignored every time
im down to throw some money at it, but i need to know what to do, or have someone with knowledge that knows what to do so i can pay them to do it.

not sure how much i believe, but a tesla employee told me that its a plaid pack with 2 missing modules, so it should be able to support way higher than its currently doing.

Last edited:
I believe Jason Hughes mentioned a few components needing to be upgraded in order for the older 2012-2014 Model S cars to take advantage of the faster Supercharging rates.

is that the wk057 guy? i asked for clarification on that in multiple threads which i was ignored every time

Well, if you were asking recently, things got weird with his business going under or kind of disappearing as it was being sold. But I had asked about that directly in March 2023, and he replied with a lengthy detailed explanation. I found that comment here:

Short answer, yes, that new type battery could take much higher currents, but some of the equipment in the older cars (charge port and high voltage junction box) isn't built to allow that.

• Helpful
Reactions: maximizese
Well, if you were asking recently, things got weird with his business going under or kind of disappearing as it was being sold. But I had asked about that directly in March 2023, and he replied with a lengthy detailed explanation. I found that comment here:

Short answer, yes, that new type battery could take much higher currents, but some of the equipment in the older cars (charge port and high voltage junction box) isn't built to allow that.
thats helpful, however my car is either q1 or q2 2015, so i guess theres not much i can do. theres no way it would ever reach 150kw, the old 85 pack was unrestricted and it went to 130kw for a second. but still even with voltage limitations the new pack has never reached 130kw, the speed it seems to like in my car is 102kw until the pack slows it down, and that seems to vary based on what % it was when i plugged in

still night and day difference between the old pack, i feel like im getting more impatient with the car as i get older.

but a tesla employee told me that its a plaid pack with 2 missing modules, so it should be able to support way higher than its currently doing.
rule #1, never trust Tesla employees 😂
its NOT a plaid pack
its a 100kwh pack minus 2 modules, which makes it roughly 90kwh n 350V due to 12 less bricks in series

regarding charging, keep in mind that its not all about max kw u can get but the whole charging curve over the SOC range
85kwh pack might get to 120-130 but won't stay there too long, new 90 will, so overall time charging is much less

The decision is completely up to you and it seems that only can assess if upgrading to unlock the capacity is worthwhile. You'll still benefit greatly from the much faster Supercharging sessions (should charge in about half the time compared to your old pack), but you say you don't Supercharge too much. If you don't need the extra range then it seems like the software limited "75" should be just fine for you.

For my own convenience, I would take the 90kWh upgrade at $2,700USD in a heartbeat, but I'm stuck with an old S85 that takes about 30 minutes at a V2/V3 Supercharger to gain 100 rated range miles. As a result of the nerfed Supercharging sessions, I arrive with a SOC% of 10 +/-2 and typically leave after 25-40 minutes and repeat to the next Supercharger. I also keep my destinations to less than 500 miles.
geez 2700.00 us? thats a steal

we have a 75d from 2017 and hope we can get the largest battery possible to fit when ours craps out..and it will be reasonable priced. The dilemma will
Be that when time comes to get a new batter if out of warranty if you spend the $ to put a new battery in(if the rest of car is great) or do you buy a new ev? Thats the question

geez 2700.00 us? thats a steal
Just to clarify, the $2,700 is the price Tesla is charging to unlock a software limited 350V "75kWh" pack to the full 90kWh pack. Folks who never need the extra range will still benefit from the same Supercharging curve, and will experience less degradation as the "extra" 15kWh of buffer will exist and compensate for future degradation/imbalance. However, for those of us who have try to minimize both the time spent and number of Supercharging stops on a road-trip, or have emergencies where stopping to charge presents a huge inconvenience might see the $2,700 well spent on the unlock.

we have a 75d from 2017 and hope we can get the largest battery possible to fit when ours craps out..and it will be reasonable priced. The dilemma will
Be that when time comes to get a new batter if out of warranty if you spend the $ to put a new battery in(if the rest of car is great) or do you buy a new ev? Thats the question

I'm in a similar position as well. I tend to keep vehicles until they are no longer practical for me and I like the idea of sustainability. My hope was that there would have been an affordable upgraded battery option at this point (our car is over 10 years old now), but the scale, expansion plans, and serviceability issues never made it a viable option at this point.

Recall appears to be a wonderful solution for folks trying to keep their Teslas on the road. While the packs are not an upgrade for >85kWh pack owners, the pricing relative to utility is a bargain compared to Tesla's reman packs. As far as value goes, it seems a warranty is worth a lot when you consider the cost of a failed pack, limited options available, and the fact that we don't know how common the failure rate even is. Conversely, a warranty wouldn't be worth all too much if replacement packs were under $6K and readily available off your local parts shelf.

I feel like I underpaid for our used 11/13 built S85 from Tesla and would be willing to pay for at least one brand new battery pack as well as an improved drive unit. Our first drive unit crapped out at 90K miles under warranty from coolant intrusion.

Reactions: Rocky_H
MY 2018 Model X 75D was dead 3 weeks ago with 83k. It took 2 weeks to be replaced with 90 battery 1014116-00-C without additional cost. Charged for coolant heater, 1048941-00-F,12v battery, 1046200-10-C and some labors. It was 200 mi at 100% before with 75. Now 276 at 100%.
congrats on getting a new battery. does your car still display as a 75d?

Last edited:
That range of 276 seems really unrealistic. I think the setting got switched to Ideal instead of Rated during this work.
That range of 276 seems really unrealistic. I think the setting got switched to Ideal instead of Rated during this work.
It is rated. I get 300+ if I switch to ideal. What do you mean unrealistic? 276 for 90? I was surprised too since I only had 200 for 75.