Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased regenerative braking when braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zhu-

custom title
Oct 24, 2018
NJ
Anyone know if increased regenerative braking is applied when pressing the physical brakes? From what Tesla mentioned in the Track Mode update, regenerative braking could be further increased but less comfortable. However couldn't extra regenerative braking be applied when using the standard brakes? For example, it would be nice if the first 0-15% of brake pedal travel was maximum regen braking then 16-100% kicks in the brake pads or some hybrid software blend of the two. I think the Model 3 could use some improvements in its braking abilities.

One risk I see with this is potentially during cold weather. The braking abilities overall would be reduced and a driver who needs more than expected stopping power might risk getting into an accident.

I’ve driven the car all of 9 miles, but I did want to ask questions of similar theme.

First, I found the regen braking when lifting off the gas to be way too extreme, so I did put it in the least aggressive mode and now it decelerates more predictably. In the more aggressive setting it was unsettling, and I could imagine during performance driving it could unsettle the car if you aren’t compensating for it.

That said, I was also curious how much regen is being used when lightly applying the pedal. I’ve yet to have to apply much brake pressure at all. Given how aggressive the regen braking was in the more extreme setting, I’m not sure I ever braked more extreme than that sensation. I truly wonder if my brake pads touched the rotors in any of my driving except perhaps at a complete stop.

I did find the brake feel different than a traditional car but not necessarily in a bad way, and I fully expected that.

TL;DR - How much regen braking is applied before friction brakes are activated?

I’ve driven the car all of 9 miles, but I did want to ask questions of similar theme.

First, I found the regen braking when lifting off the gas to be way too extreme, so I did put it in the least aggressive mode and now it decelerates more predictably. In the more aggressive setting it was unsettling, and I could imagine during performance driving it could unsettle the car if you aren’t compensating for it.

That said, I was also curious how much regen is being used when lightly applying the pedal. I’ve yet to have to apply much brake pressure at all. Given how aggressive the regen braking was in the more extreme setting, I’m not sure I ever braked more extreme than that sensation. I truly wonder if my brake pads touched the rotors in any of my driving except perhaps at a complete stop.

I did find the brake feel different than a traditional car but not necessarily in a bad way, and I fully expected that.

My recommendation is to put the regen back to the default and to learn that the accelerator is more a speed control than accelerator. You'll get a lot better efficiency this way and it doesn't take long to get used to it.

If you want to see the effect of braking on regen, just watch the energy usage bar above the speed limit.

Predictions: You will easily get adjusted to one-pedal driving. You will master go-pedal feathering. You will learn to love standard regen. You will hardly ever use the friction brakes in non-emergency situations. The brake pads will last forever. No brake dust will foul your wheels. You’ll have to readjust when driving a legacy car and hate it.

Predictions: You will easily get adjusted to one-pedal driving. You will master go-pedal feathering. You will learn to love standard regen. You will hardly ever use the friction brakes in non-emergency situations. The brake pads will last forever. No brake dust will foul your wheels. You’ll have to readjust when driving a legacy car and hate it.

I agree that I'll get to the learning curve, I still worry about spirited driving. Having driven performance vehicles at reasonable limits for 20+ years, I do worry about lift off throttle unsettling the balance of a car.

That said, I'll probably give it a try and adjust accordingly. That said, my question/assumption is that even in non-aggressive regen, lightly tapping the brakes does not activate the friction brakes and gives me a sort of two-pedal approach to modulating brake regen, not dissimilar from downshifting in a manual car. This is my first non-manual car since I was 17 which was over 20 years ago. I've literally never replaced brake pads on a car I've owned since I tend to downshift anyways, a lot of it just because I don't want brake dust and don't want to have to replace brakes. My wife has had automatics and we've had to replace brakes/etc so I'm programmed that way.

I agree that I'll get to the learning curve, I still worry about spirited driving. Having driven performance vehicles at reasonable limits for 20+ years, I do worry about lift off throttle unsettling the balance of a car.

That said, I'll probably give it a try and adjust accordingly. That said, my question/assumption is that even in non-aggressive regen, lightly tapping the brakes does not activate the friction brakes and gives me a sort of two-pedal approach to modulating brake regen, not dissimilar from downshifting in a manual car. This is my first non-manual car since I was 17 which was over 20 years ago. I've literally never replaced brake pads on a car I've owned since I tend to downshift anyways, a lot of it just because I don't want brake dust and don't want to have to replace brakes. My wife has had automatics and we've had to replace brakes/etc so I'm programmed that way.

Track mode for the Performance 3 increases regen, so it should be fine for spirited driving once you become accustomed to it.

Can anyone still verify whether light brake application will use regen entirely or whether brake always means friction brake?
Brake pedal controls friction brakes only. Period. If you have regen set to normal, then completely lifting off the accelerator will produce maximum regen. By this definition, when you lift your right foot completely off the accelerator to move it over to the brake pedal, you already have maximum regenerative braking before you even touch the brake pedal. If you decide that you want more deceleration then you can begin to press the brakes which will begin to activate the friction brakes and increase your stopping force beyond what the regenerative braking can do. I personally use only regenerative braking (except for surprises) and only have to engage the friction brakes below 5 MPH to bring the vehicle to a stop.

Can anyone still verify whether light brake application will use regen entirely or whether brake always means friction brake?

No - Tesla does not do any sort of brake blending. Regeneration is ONLY activated by lifting the accelerator and the brake pads are ONLY activated by pressing the brake pedal.

Owning two other EVs with brake blending, I think Tesla's solution is much smoother.