Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Information About Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have sketchy computer knowledge but I do understand that there are different operating systems that are used in desk tops, lap tops and phones etc. They are all close enough that I can figure out how to use them after some exploration.

However, the Tesla computer/browser is a mystery to me. There is really not much to it; no settings, tabs, tools etc. Clearing browser data was recently added but that's about it.

These cars have pretty sophisticated computers in them. I can't understand why the Tesla browser doesn't have features that ordinary computers, tablets or phones have.

We have things like Disney, Netflix and YouTube installed. Are they apps that are displayed through the browser?

I'm sure that there are many knowledgeable computer people here that could explain why the Tesla version of an operating system is so different from anything else that I have ever seen.

I have tried searching for any technical articles that do an analysis of the Tesla system but have had no luck.. Perhaps someone here can provide some links?

Its a browser, based on chromium. The more flexibility they offer in the browser the more security you have to have. The browser has nothing to do with whats running the car interface though, since you mention "Tesla version of an operating system". The browser isnt that, its a web browser.

However, the Tesla computer/browser is a mystery to me. There is really not much to it; no settings, tabs, tools etc. Clearing browser data was recently added but that's about it.

See no pesky settings to get in the way so it should be pretty simple to use right? You have tabs and you have a favorites button. So what is the mystery as far as operation?

We have things like Disney, Netflix and YouTube installed. Are they apps that are displayed through the browser?

No, these are separate apps installed in the Tesla user interface within the Theater app.

Its a browser, based on chromium. The more flexibility they offer in the browser the more security you have to have. The browser has nothing to do with whats running the car interface though, since you mention "Tesla version of an operating system". The browser isnt that, its a web browser.

Yes, I saw that in the last update....

"Tesla’s browser was previously based on Chrome version 102, which was released in the summer of 2022.

It is now based on a more recent release, version 109"

I looked up Chrome version 109 and it looked like a normal download for computers. The listed features did not appear in the Tesla version.

Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:
See no pesky settings to get in the way so it should be pretty simple to use right? You have tabs and you have a favorites button. So what is the mystery as far as operation?

Simple, yes.; although you mention having tabs. I don't see those in my car.
Everything is a mystery until you learn about things. I 'm not trying to get anything fixed or changed. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the car.

No, these are separate apps installed in the Tesla user interface within the Theater app.

Ok, I was just wondering since I can view YouTube videos on the app or by going to Youtube.com in the browser.

Thanks for your response.