Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Model S Alpha Workshop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw one of the alphas on Hwy 280 on my way to work this morning.

No foolin' !? :wink: (Oh wait, you got the video to prove it!)
icon14.gif

I am thinking the upper slot in the nose is there because the chrome piece with Tesla emblem hasn't been attached to the hood; the upper slot we now see will change to a continuation of the hood with the attachment of this piece. If you look at the white alpha the hood has a "lip" to attach this chrome piece to and run the full width of the hood; to leave it as it is shown I think aerodynamics would be affected negatively; the slot opening is to high above the radiator to be for cooling. Sorry I don't have photo of cars with emblems attached this way. Photo of "lip" on hood:
attachment.php

I saw this pic on another post and thought it was interesting based on you thoughts.
189466_10150104810545334_533025333_6995316_7588061_n.jpg

@TDelta: This looks like one of the original prototypes, not an alpha. Notice that the larger vent under the front headlight is missing in the grey vehicle above, For reference, I re-posted an alpha picture for comparison.

25-tesla-model-s-development.jpg
189466_10150104810545334_533025333_6995316_7588061_n.jpg

But what is that large box under the hood/bonnet?! Looks like NO room for front storage.

Has there been any updates on the Orange crash test cars???

* When will they be completed?
* When will the testing begin?
* How long will the testing take?
* How soon after the crash testing will it be before we see the Beta versions?
* If changes need to be made to the design, how long will it take for Tesla Motors to complete and pivot the the Beta offering?

Has there been any updates on the Orange crash test cars???

* When will they be completed?
* When will the testing begin?
* How long will the testing take?
* How soon after the crash testing will it be before we see the Beta versions?
* If changes need to be made to the design, how long will it take for Tesla Motors to complete and pivot the the Beta offering?

Tesla's recent SEC filing (Link to ABG report)had the most up to date info on this, AFAIK. The Alphas are complete, the Betas will be built 'later this year'

In any case, I'd imagine the "finished" orange test mules wouldn't be much more than barebones re: hinting towards new styling ideas etc. Basically, I don't think we'd learn anything new by SEEING the finished mules.

AnOutsider... I would wait on the Beta fleet for the updates styling queues to the Model S. I'm interested in seeing how TM finishes the interiors and also in the overall pictures of the completed crash units.

Regarding the Aston Martin door handles, I just happen to be at a dealer here in the Bay Area purchasing the exact same door handles for a custom car that I'm working on. When ordered, the guy that orders from the factory was asking why another Tesla employee was purchasing from the dealer and not directly. The dealer had to explain it was for something completely different. So they definitely purchased Aston door handles a few weeks ago.