Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Model S Alpha Workshop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has their own story up.
Alpha Workshop Photo Tour | Blog | Tesla Motors
img_2863_cropped.jpe

img_2915_cropped.jpe

img_2899_cropped.jpe

img_3059_cropped.jpe

models_bythenumbers.png

Last edited:
Interesting that the front is chock full of stuff and not a second trunk.

I think there's more space in there than it first appears. The top could be as high as the top of the white V-beam, rather than the bottom of the black lateral piece, which is where they eye is drawn to.

I'll give you that it's not the whole size of the bonnet, but it could easily be a couple of hundred litres, maybe 10 cu ft. About half the total volume of a certain well-known Electrically Assisted Vehicle...

I've been looking at the Model S Alpha pictures, trying to figure where the charging ports are.

Could it be that the charging ports are under the Tesla 'T' on the front?

Unless SAE completes the combined Level 2 and 3 charging connection standard soon, Tesla will need to provide for two charging ports.

The initial prototype had a single port on the left rear panel, but I don't see it there anymore on the alpha pictures.

I like the idea of ports in the front, but it's a styling challenge.

Last edited:
Nose slotted similarities:
Model S
attachment.php?attachmentid=1518&d=1301177073.jpg

New Toyota RAV4 EV
toyota-rav4_100331389_m.jpg

I am thinking the upper slot in the nose is there because the chrome piece with Tesla emblem hasn't been attached to the hood; the upper slot we now see will change to a continuation of the hood with the attachment of this piece. If you look at the white alpha the hood has a "lip" to attach this chrome piece to and run the full width of the hood; to leave it as it is shown I think aerodynamics would be affected negatively; the slot opening is to high above the radiator to be for cooling. Sorry I don't have photo of cars with emblems attached this way. Photo of "lip" on hood:
attachment.php

Speaking of the Model S nose, did anyone else notice the extra front bumper on the side of the workshop in that last photo? It might just be me (or wishful thinking?) but I think I see what looks like a chrome trim ring and "grille" assembly there...