Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install 50amp breaker in 100 amp subpanel with 60amp breaker in main

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been charging with 110V outlet for a month now. It's ok for range since I drive 40 miles daily. but it took about 10 hours to charge back to 80% each day. I'm trying to install 14-50 220v outlet myself. My subpanel is 100 amp, but the breaker for it in the main is 60 amp. My question is, can I install the 50 amp breaker in the subpanel? The subpanel currently has a 30amp breaker for AC and a couple of 20 and 15A ones.
Thanks!
I am afraid, you will likely OVERLOAD your house wiring (need at least 200 Amp and thicker wires).

I finally decided to get an electrician instead of DIY. He said I can't install 14-50 since the cable going in the subpanel can only handle 80A. He installed 30A. But he put in 10-30 outlet. I forgot that it's obsolete and paid. He did use a metal box and ground it. Will 10-30 outlet work? I saw some people had issues. Is it safe or legal to install 10-30? Should I ask him to replace with 14-30? Thanks!
He may have used a 10-2 Romex to save money on material, the 10-30 is safe for your purpose but it is as stated not to code

I finally decided to get an electrician instead of DIY. He said I can't install 14-50 since the cable going in the subpanel can only handle 80A. He installed 30A. But he put in 10-30 outlet. I forgot that it's obsolete and paid. He did use a metal box and ground it. Will 10-30 outlet work? I saw some people had issues. Is it safe or legal to install 10-30? Should I ask him to replace with 14-30? Thanks!
The 10-30 will work fine, but as noted above, it's obsolete and not supposed to be installed on new circuits. In your shoes I'd switch it out for either the 6-30, or, if he ran the extra neutral wire, a 14-30.

One thing that people overlook in these situations is that a 40a circuit can be run to a 14-50 and works just fine with the Gen2 mobile connector at the full 32a charging rate. Sure, a 50a circuit would be preferable, but if it's all that you have capacity for, it's a great option.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

Probably easier for you just to install the 14-30 outlet yourself, if you were considering DIY before. Its much better and the same price as an adapter.

Thanks for the responses. He did run extra neutral. I just asked him to replace it with 14-30. if he can't come by in a week or so (he's an hour away), I'll do it myself. All 4 wires are in the box already.
You might as well get a high quality outlet as well for $36, this outlet has huge V shaped lug terminals with Allen head screws that provide a much improved termination as well as having much heavier contacts for the plug

Bryant 30A 4W Single Receptacle 125/250VAC 14-30R BK 9430FR | Zoro.com

just look at the specs on this beast, 30, 50 and 60 all built with these heavy duty specs, well worth the extra money

https://hubbellcdn.com/literature/Bryant_BSS57.pdf

if you do go this route you also need a different cover plate as the diameter is larger than the cheaper outlets. Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems Single Receptacle Plate, 2 Gang, Silver SS701 | Zoro.com

Last edited:
Probably easier for you just to install the 14-30 outlet yourself, if you were considering DIY before. Its much better and the same price as an adapter.

In the USA, I do not think you can legally install a 40 amp breaker for a 14-50. In Canada, it's legal.

I would install a 30 amp circuit if the main breaker in only 60A. Either a 14-30 if a neutral was installed, or a 6-30 if not.