Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installation scheduled - what to ask/plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have concrete Spanish tile on our house - with 44 solar panels, installed by 3rd party Tesla-approved installer.

We discussed putting mesh around the tiles, and then decided against that. Our tiles are on a second story roof, with no nearby trees anywhere close to the house, and a stucco exterior - so the risk of animals even getting onto the roof seems pretty small.

Installation took longer already because of the tile roof - couldn't justify having the crew up on the roof even longer to install meshing around the four panel sections. [Installers didn't break a single tile!]

Reactions: LadyLion
We have cement flat tiles also. We are in Marin county. Roof rats are an issue in our area. We have Clark's Pest control. They filled a couple small voids (around A/C vent into stucco wall) that seems to have worked in stopping the attic issue. Also set traps. I had the trees trimmed back from the roof perimeter also. But we are near a creek and fall is nesting/house entry season I believe.
I think a company in Marin or North counties as well as Easy bay would service our area.
Any referrals or recommendations are appreciated. The wire chewing issue has me concerned.
@SMAlset

We have concrete Spanish tile on our house - with 44 solar panels, installed by 3rd party Tesla-approved installer.

We discussed putting mesh around the tiles, and then decided against that. Our tiles are on a second story roof, with no nearby trees anywhere close to the house, and a stucco exterior - so the risk of animals even getting onto the roof seems pretty small.

Installation took longer already because of the tile roof - couldn't justify having the crew up on the roof even longer to install meshing around the four panel sections. [Installers didn't break a single tile!]

LOL. Bob we live in 2-story stucco homes here too. I thought squirrels couldn’t climb the walls so was shocked to watch them in person do that one day. They are very good at it actually. I hear the scampering on the roof occasionally and we have no trees for them to gain access that way. Oh and our walls are more of a sand grain texture different from the video below so type of texturing doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
We have cement flat tiles also. We are in Marin county. Roof rats are an issue in our area. We have Clark's Pest control. They filled a couple small voids (around A/C vent into stucco wall) that seems to have worked in stopping the attic issue. Also set traps. I had the trees trimmed back from the roof perimeter also. But we are near a creek and fall is nesting/house entry season I believe.
I think a company in Marin or North counties as well as Easy bay would service our area.
Any referrals or recommendations are appreciated. The wire chewing issue has me concerned.
@SMAlset

I’m opposite end of bay so unfortunately no recommendations. From what I understand roof rats are all over the SF Bay area. Hadn’t seen one until a group if us were all talking in yhe back yard and one scurried by on the fence. Out next door neighbor got their attic infested with a group of them. Noticed small black plastic bits coming out of their AC vents in first floor. Checked attic ceiling door and she said tons if rat poop fell down when they opened it. They have a dog and never suspected they had a problem. Quite an expensive mess to clean out. Pest control company said they came in from vents not having screening in them. Having our roof checked for winter and will be having ours looked at.

• Informative
I just talked to a Project Advisor at Tesla. After my activation I can order the pest abatement. It is made of a strong wire mesh with a coating with small holes.They lift the panels and attach it to the brackets and underneath the panels. The quote is $2250. The price at the time of installation is in the $1500 range. They don’t offer or mention it because they don’t want to appear to have up-charges or add-ons.
I plan to use Tesla rather than a roofer due to the handling of the panels. He mentioned it protects the wires from critters.
I am waiting for PTO and activation. Thank you @SMAlset

Last edited:
Reactions: SMAlset
Here’s what it looks like:

8D96F526-9633-4786-A417-5260EAE73B9E.jpeg

D2901FF4-3F56-406E-8678-3B6D1C82EC4C.jpeg

Most of our mesh was run behind the skirted area although I think some of our near gutter area panels had it attached to the front of the skirt. Ours was cut lengthwise to sit flush to our flat roof tiles (see photo above - tap to zoom in) but I’ve seen other installs on the web show it bent at roof tiles instead of being cut and part of the mesh laying flat on the tile around the panel (mesh forming an L shape).

Last edited: