Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a Instrument Cluster Dashboard Displayer mickey mouse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize this is a bit early, just wondering how the topfit / carid display will work when V11.3 drops. I Heard the following distance setpoint is gone, scroll wheel will select FSD profiles now. I’m guessing that change alone will cause issues with the left display. Hopefully they’re still selling enough of these to warrant a new software upgrade.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I realize this is a bit early, just wondering how the topfit / carid display will work when V11.3 drops. I Heard the following distance setpoint is gone, scroll wheel will select FSD profiles now. I’m guessing that change alone will cause issues with the left display. Hopefully they’re still selling enough of these to warrant a new software upgrade.
I thought the same thing when I saw the early reports of this new control setting. The thing is, the scroll wheel paramrter will be different for cars running FSD beta vs. standard Autopilot/FSD. I hope they can write an update that detects and works with both, and distribute it relatively soon.

Just checking if anyone here keeps up with the updates, and has tried out the new v12.1.1 or v12.5 version from Tesla?

I'm going on a trip in a couple of weeks, and could definitely use the display improvements of larger font choice. But it's not worth potentially broken Topfit display during my trip. TIA.

Just checking if anyone here keeps up with the updates, and has tried out the new v12.1.1 or v12.5 version from Tesla?

I'm going on a trip in a couple of weeks, and could definitely use the display improvements of larger font choice. But it's not worth potentially broken Topfit display during my trip. TIA.
I don't knowl if the main software branch updates 2023 12+ will break the display operation. I doubt it, and I think that if it does they will put out an update relatively quickly ( though probably not in time for your trip).

I can say that with the currently widely available FSD beta software, the numeric following distance setting has been abandoned in favor of a three l-level Chill | Average | Assertive control. Consequently the API has changed, and the display simply doesn't respond to the new control at all. Miy displayis stuck on 4, just because that's where it was when I updated the software and it stopped registering Follow Distance setings on the CANbus.

I'd very much like it if we could get an update for this particular issue, but I'm not very optimistic because FSD is not yet deploying in China at all, and in North America most cars still use the Follow Distance and not yet the new assertiveness control.

I'm currently on 12.5 and the Topfit continues to work as it always has.

I'm currently on 12.5 and the Topfit continues to work as it always has.

Awesome, thank you for the confirmation.

I'm pretty gun-shy about the updates in general, last couple of years have had some seriously terrible updates. But they occasionally introduce things I definitely want, like improved audio, and this update that allows a larger font size. Something that actually improves the experience, not degrades it. I'd still pay money to remove that stupid car animation, but overall the car is fun to drive. Looking forward to my long trip.

Awesome, thank you for the confirmation.

I'm pretty gun-shy about the updates in general, last couple of years have had some seriously terrible updates. But they occasionally introduce things I definitely want, like improved audio, and this update that allows a larger font size. Something that actually improves the experience, not degrades it. I'd still pay money to remove that stupid car animation, but overall the car is fun to drive. Looking forward to my long trip.
The small/large font thing is a bit pointless in my view. The large size generally causes nothing to fit, resulting in a very messy looking UI.

Hello guys,
Today I tried to install the latest firmware for the unit (I bought it from Startech), but I ran into some issues.
The update worked only on the left screen, once I put the pendrive in the right screen I couldn't see any changes, the display just rebooted everytime I clicked on the "Upgrade" button, without any installation. I tried it many time, even with different pendrives but no effect at all. Also the firmware version number remained the same.
Did anyone experience the same issue? Do you maybe have any idea how to solve it?
Thank you very much for your help.

Hello guys,
Today I tried to install the latest firmware for the unit (I bought it from Startech), but I ran into some issues.
The update worked only on the left screen, once I put the pendrive in the right screen I couldn't see any changes, the display just rebooted everytime I clicked on the "Upgrade" button, without any installation. I tried it many time, even with different pendrives but no effect at all. Also the firmware version number remained the same.
Did anyone experience the same issue? Do you maybe have any idea how to solve it?
Thank you very much for your help.

That sounds like the source file is probably corrupted for the right screen file. All software updates nowadays use CRC to verify files before they install, to avoid corrupting the firmware. Since yours is rebooting immediately and not updating the firmware, that suggests it's failing the CRC at the first step. Since it happens on multiple pen drives, that suggests the original file is bad.

Try redownloading the file, or get it from an alternate location. You can use mine if it's helpful: Index of /topfit

I’m considering getting this display, but my main concern is blocking A/C airflow.
What’s your experience with this?
Obviously it blocks some just because it's there, but not too bad because of its shape - a smaller cross section than most of the rectangular tablet alternatives. Where I live I really need air conditioning, but I'm happy with the way it works. I've had the unit installed since almost the beginning of my ownership.

I should say also that I have good heat rejecting tent on all glass except the windshield. But the car stays parked outside and would still get incredibly hot during the day (as do my other cars), so I have an automation running to restart Cabin Overheat Protection at 5:00 a.m. every day. Also I try to remember to activate full A/C 10 or 15 minutes before I leave in the afternoon. So with that, the interior is comfortable when I start driving. One of the nice benefits of the Tesla!

In any case, the car more than keeps up with the heat as I drive. Even In the ~110° heat we've had this month, and I have no feeling that the display unit is interfering with that.

Reactions: BjornJ
Thanks, that’s really helpful. The shape seems more conducive to let some air pass than a rectangular screen.
I was also wondering if I need to keep cabin overheat protection on when partaking in the sun (Northern Cal) to protect the screens. Sounds like that might be a good idea at least in peak summer heat.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I have a 2023 Model 3 with AMD processor and I just purchased one of the "Carda / Mickey Mouse" dash clusters. Apparently they updated the cables that come with the install package, but never updated the installation instructions. My unit does not have a cable with battery terminal connectors at all. Does anyone have the very latest install instructions or link to the latest install video that they can point me to? Thank you in advance!

I have a 2023 Model 3 with AMD processor and I just purchased one of the "Carda / Mickey Mouse" dash clusters. Apparently they updated the cables that come with the install package, but never updated the installation instructions. My unit does not have a cable with battery terminal connectors at all. Does anyone have the very latest install instructions or link to the latest install video that they can point me to? Thank you in advance!

How do you mean "battery terminal connectors?" Mine is older and for a 2020 Intel car, but there was only the single plug that connected to the main head unit under the passenger kick well. It gets power from the main unit as far as I know.

Maybe point us to the spot you bought the unit so we can see updated version.