Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing NEMA 14-50, would appreciate your thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on the panel you have, replacing your panel could be a valid recommendation, however, if that was the case, they should recommend upgrading it no matter what you did (there were some really bad panels out there).

Also, if you were talking about installing a wall connector with a 100amp circuit, I might consider upgrading to something "commercial grade"... (though even then, I would be suspicious, most residential panels have the capacity to handle that load, most commercial panels are for things like 480v plus, 3 phase power, needs to control how power is restored after an outage, etc... not simply a 240v 50 amp circuit.

But, installing a 50amp breaker for a 14-50 outlet has NO NEED for anything commercial.

There could be differences in load calculations between a stove and a EV charger requiring a larger service, but if that was an issue, then he should not have been willing to install it at all in your level of service at all, no matter which panel was used.

So... overall, unless there is more that you missed in passing on... run far and fast, he is trying to cheat you... And badly at that! (There are lots of things that he could have said that we, or at least I, would have totally agreed with in terms of reasons to replace your panel.)

Actually, I take that back... I suggest getting his recommendation in writing, and several additional quotes from other electricians (preferably with good recommendations on something like Angie's list). You SHOULD tell then you are installing an electric car charger, in case your area has specific code provisions for them, some do... then if the don't agree, and I suspect they won't, send all of these to both your local tesla center as well as the charger install email address from tesla.

If he is right (based on your specific panel / configuration). others should agree with him, but if he is trying to take advantage of a Tesla recommendation, Tesla should know and have the chance to deal with it.

Depending on what else you find, it might be worth notifying the licensing authorities in your area as well...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Honestly call another electrician and say you want a 14-50 outlet for an "Arc Welder". They may think you are in the trades and give you an at cost installation. $1800 is ludicrous and he's just padding the *sugar* out of your quote to get extra money. $300-500 is more realistic with minimal conduit and in wall work if they are charging a $125/hr labor rate. The parts are cheap.

I DIY because I'm an Electrical Engineer and know how to do it. I simply got a permit for $108 from the county, bought a square D 50A breaker, Leviton external mount 14-50 box, and about 3' of #6 4 wire Romex, ran it out the panel straight down to the plug, passed code with flying colors. And the parts were approx $40

Ah I wish I had your skills...but I do make a killer BBQ brisket.

• Funny
Reactions: Max* and rolson1011
I had a HPWC (Gen1 w/50AMP Breaker) installed for $450. My house was built in 2003 and has a 200 AMP panel. The electrician only charged me for parts and labor. I am installing a second HPWC (Gen 2 w/ 60AMP Breaker) in my garage for my wife's Model X and the same electrician stated that it would be less expensive since the cable run is not a long as the first installation. To me that is a clear sign of a reputable business.

Reactions: rolson1011
I take Tesla's "recommended" shops with a grain of salt. They all tend to overcharge. From electricians to body shops. I scratched the hell out of my nosecone and sought a replacement last weekend, their "recommended" body shop was a lot closer than the service center, so tried there first. They quoted almost $980 to replace the nose cone, quoting painting and clear coat as high cost items. WTF, its a piece of plastic. Needless to say, not going through them and was able to get the SC to order one for around $350.

I won't argue with that (esp since I don't have any experience with them). But overcharging is different from telling a customer he needs something he doesn't. And, in my experience, what some see as overcharging can be simply charging for better quality people. (Not specifically saying that is or isn't the case in any of these examples)

I was a plumber a long time ago, working for my father... and we often had bids in that were twice the price of others. Sometimes this was because we saw potential problems where others didn't (experience counts most there!). And sometimes it was because we always took more time to make sure everything was perfect for our customers, done right, fully cleaned up (we always left the house cleaner than it was when we came), which of course meant we expected to take longer. To be fair, sometimes it was because we just charged more per hour... but we NEVER considered ourselves to be overcharging people. We knew that some people would choose one of the many other plumbers out there that provided cheaper rates (often much cheaper) but, we felt that we wanted to do the Jose right, and that it was fair to ask to be paid for that.

I'd like to think that Tesla would want people like that on its list of recommended installers rather than someone who always does the cheapest job, but might miss something.

Now, none of that is to say that there aren't electricians out there who are overcharging for services, especially when they hear the customer has a Tesla... (I know for a fact there are plumbers out there who do that!). But I always try to be a little cautious about simply saying that an $1800 nema 14-50 outlet install is way too much, at least without looking at the job and understanding what was involved. There are some places around where we worked that could take a plumber a half day to just get the permit from the city, and places where you have to be there for the inspector who may show up anytime between 8am and 5pm... get a township that does both, and you could be tacking an extra 500 bucks on the bill just to sit and wait! None of that made ANYONE happy, least of all the plumber (or electrician) who knows his customer is gonna be unhappy, but it's the rules in that town.

Again though, this is different from a vendor who wants to charge for painting a pre-colored part, or one who tries to tell a customer the need something they don't... those are tactics that should not be tolerated!

Let's not pile on the electrician just yet. Electrical panels in commercial and industrial applications generally have bolt-on breakers which have a better connection to the bus because, well, it's bolted and not friction. Will residential panels work? Of course, but they can loosen and heat up. Look at the horrible history of Federal Pacific NB stab-lok breakers. Don't get me wrong, clip type breaker attachment should work fine for years, but for the most demanding applications, the electrician has made a good case for bolt-on breakers (if that is what he is recommending).