Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instant impression plants next to charging wiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed any of the instant impression (decorative bushy type) plants next to home charge wiring slowly decay and die? This is our second decorative bushy plant we have kept next to the wiring cable - just to hide the wiring cable as it is near our front entrance. I am neither a electrician nor a gardener or has any interest in any of the above. Can anyone explain this weird thing as two expensive pot plants completely decayed and died within 4 months?. Of course, I water them and look after them and they are local variety that grows well in this part of the east. Does electrical energy dissipate so much and affect plants?

Solution
Several possibilities, watering, temperature. When charging there can be an electrical field created around the power cable that is harmless to us but may affect the plant. Try growing the same plant in an area away from the cable and see if you get the same result.
I have a long run of SWA cable from the house to the charge point which passes under a grassed area, across a burn (stream), up a slope through bushes, along the base of a rough "hedge" consisting of various bushes including beech, birch, willow, hawthorn, sycamore etc etc for 25 metres. Oh how I wish there was a negative effect on growth on any of these things!
I guess the issue I have is this is the only one in a pot, the wiring cable still runs along various other bushes without any negative effect on their growth!

Upvote 0
Interestingly, I have a pyrocanthus in a pot near my charger, though not as close as you. It is on a north facing wall and struggles, particularly in winter.

As a previous poster mentioned, growing plants in pots is very difficult and they take a lot of looking after. In the summer, I have to water them most days, feed them, prune them and if they don’t like the position or the compost mix isn’t right, they still die.

I’ve got a feeling that the electricity isn’t the issue. It’s a potted plant and they are very difficult to keep healthy.

• Informative
Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0