Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance coverage for MY ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Any advise on the car insurance coverage you recommend for a MY ?

This is the most expensive present I'm giving to myself so I would like to know about the coverage you have or recommended to have...

Thank you,

I have Geico and to add a MY, the estimated increased would be approx. $240 for 6 months, which I think it's too cheap for this kind of cars??? Am I missing something??? What coverage policy do you have ???
If you are simply adding a new car to your existing policy, this may be reasonable. When I added MY, the increase was nearly $300 for me, making my effective premium to ~900. But, after selling my other car, I ended up at 600.

I have Geico and to add a MY, the estimated increased would be approx. $240 for 6 months, which I think it's too cheap for this kind of cars??? Am I missing something??? What coverage policy do you have ???
Updating.....

I called Geico again to double check it and wanted to make sure it's an accurate quote....

For a 2017 Hrv and a MY, full coverage, it would be $1,000 per 6 months... $500 deductible....

For Progressive, $1,300 per 6 months....

Because I'm in California, I also called Tesla Insurance for a quote, but they need the VIN which I don't have it yet...

Insurance premiums (rates) are going to vastly vary on multiple things, like driver history, location (city/zip), if you keep the car garaged, if you have other cars for a multi-car discount or other discounts with additional items or coverages, etc.

The best is to get some ideas of which companies people seem to be getting good deals with and shop around with the same coverages & deductibles for each one in your area, so you can see which one will give you the best deal. In my area of LA County, I've been using Farmers but lately they've been getting expensive with my previous EV cars (with both my Model 3, BMW 530e and i3), and after shopping around for my area & criteria, Costco Connect is the cheapest and we will be switching to that once I take delivery of my Model Y. In my case, it'll save me almost $1000/year on the premium compared to if I stick with Farmers.

Updating.....

I called Geico again to double check it and wanted to make sure it's an accurate quote....

For a 2017 Hrv and a MY, full coverage, it would be $1,000 per 6 months... $500 deductible....

For Progressive, $1,300 per 6 months....

Because I'm in California, I also called Tesla Insurance for a quote, but they need the VIN which I don't have it yet...
Give MetroMile a try. They have a lower base premium plus charge by miles you traveled.