Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance difference for Fremont vs Austin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trips

"Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"
Sep 22, 2015
Omaha, NE
A friend ordered a Long Range Model Y and was assigned a VIN from Austin. Tesla then reassigned him a VIN from Fremont in the exact same spec. When he updated Nationwide Insurance with the new VIN they quoted him an extra $90/year. Nothing has changed except the Location digit on the VIN, and serial number.

Has anyone came across this where a Fremont made Model Y is slightly more expensive to insure?

They ran both VINs at the same time and the Texas version was coming back cheaper. You can switch the F to an A in the VIN and it will give you the same result.
In that case I would call the insurer and ask questions. Its not like the LR uses the 4680 so I don't see why there would be a difference in premium. Call the insurer and have them get an answer from underwriting is what I would do.

A friend ordered a Long Range Model Y and was assigned a VIN from Austin. Tesla then reassigned him a VIN from Fremont in the exact same spec. When he updated Nationwide Insurance with the new VIN they quoted him an extra $90/year. Nothing has changed except the Location digit on the VIN, and serial number.

Has anyone came across this where a Fremont made Model Y is slightly more expensive to insure?
did you find out the reason for this?