Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take delivery of MYLR DBM from Fremont later this month? [Posted March 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah so in like 6 months, there will potentially be a huge upgrade in hardware. Why would I pull the trigger and buy one now when a massive upgrade is going to be available shortly?

Your MY will cost more, if you're ok paying more then go for it.

So you think when MY comes out with HW4 the prices will be even lower than they are now?

By the time HW4 comes out for the MY it is likely the tax EV credit will be reduced by 50%, also the current price reductions will be removed by the Fall or as soon as Tesla reaches its Sales goals.

Just look at how they're pricing the model X, the Y, the upcoming 2/Z.

The pricing for Y is a special incentive that will not last.

Reactions: Midpack
So you think when MY comes out with HW4 the prices will be even lower than they are now?
Price is a function of competitive alternatives, not cost. If it was just cost + X, all carmakers profits could be the same. MY prices are not going to come down (or go up) solely due to Teslas costs, Tesla demand vs production and competitors will dictate prices. Again, I doubt you'll see the current Tesla prices this low anytime soon - especially given all the competition is losing money on their EVs for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
By the time HW4 comes out for the MY it is likely the tax EV credit will be reduced by 50%, also the current price reductions will be removed by the Fall or as soon as Tesla reaches its Sales goals.

Just look at how they're pricing the model X, the Y, the upcoming 2/Z.

The pricing for Y is a special incentive that will not last.
If tax credits go down to $3,750, it wont be for long. Tesla will increase their in country lithium battery production.

Price is a function of competitive alternatives, not cost. If it was just cost + X, all carmakers profits would be the same. MY prices are not going to come down (or go up) solely due to Teslas costs, Tesla demand vs production and competitors will dictate prices.
If they produce newer MYs with better tech at a lower price, they can keep prices down. That would wreak more havoc on my car's value than if they simply came out with new MY with better tech at a much higher price.

If they produce newer MYs with better tech at a lower price, they can keep prices down. That would wreak more havoc on my car's value than if they simply came out with new MY with better tech at a much higher price.

Technology doesn't get cheaper unless it ages, but newer technology will always cost more. If Tesla identifies cheaper manufacturing methods then that increases their profit margin, it does not lower cost.

Reactions: E90alex
Technology doesn't get cheaper unless it ages, but newer technology will always cost more. If Tesla identifies cheaper manufacturing methods then that increases their profit margin, it does not lower cost.
That is always a possibility, but they are clearly ramping up their competitive edge vs their competitors and the way they are making themselves dominant is by keeping their prices so low.

How did you come to this estimate? With or without the tax credit people will buy teslas. It’s not about evs but it’s about owning a Tesla brand for many.
Yeah but the tax credit is clearly driving a large amount of demand so far this year. its like a 15% discount essentially. The full $7500 might get cut in half soon if the batteries arent made in the US. Tesla is correcting that so I don't think it'll affect tesla for long.

That is always a possibility, but they are clearly ramping up their competitive edge vs their competitors and the way they are making themselves dominant is by keeping their prices so low.
They're reducing costs to improve profitability, like most companies do, some better than others. And I wouldn't call Tesla prices "so low" relative to other cars, EV or otherwise. Tesla is more competitive since the price reductions, but by no means a bargain, and still well above the original MSRPs.

Reactions: J Neptune
They're reducing costs to improve profitability, like most companies do, some better than others. And I wouldn't call Tesla prices "so low" relative to other cars, EV or otherwise. Tesla is more competitive since the price reductions, but by no means a bargain, and still well above the original MSRPs.
Totally. Tesla is a brand people want to belong to. It’s a reason why jeep wranglers are 55-60k, why ford f150 cost 60k and still come with all plastic trim and cloth seats.

My friend has the nx plug in. Just gorgeous inside and just quality is great. My model Y, seats are cool bc it’s white, the screen is cool, but everything else is average at best. I can’t even say it’s the fastest bc I don’t have the performance package. My MY is quick though.

But so far no real complaints except for the wind noise

Remember when they redesigned the model S? Price jumped 30k!! When they redesigned the MY and M3 I don't believe they will sell it for the same price they are selling it for today, regardless of what they do to it. Update = price increase. TMS at 70k decent price car for what you get, 100k overpriced. 0-60 is great for the first 2 months then it's all about driving distance and features. Nearly everyone making electric cars today are making products that will compete with Tesla and are more luxurious and with better features: cross traffic, cooled seats, normal odometers, car play, and so on. Tesla has 1 thing going for them, Super Chargers that work, not always all of them, but more of them at one location than other manufacturers and that is what is keeping them ahead of the competition. Having to wait (ordered Jan 22) till April-May might change my mind.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Remember when they redesigned the model S? Price jumped 30k!! When they redesigned the MY and M3 I don't believe they will sell it for the same price they are selling it for today, regardless of what they do to it. Update = price increase. TMS at 70k decent price car for what you get, 100k overpriced. 0-60 is great for the first 2 months then it's all about driving distance and features. Nearly everyone making electric cars today are making products that will compete with Tesla and are more luxurious and with better features: cross traffic, cooled seats, normal odometers, car play, and so on. Tesla has 1 thing going for them, Super Chargers that work, not always all of them, but more of them at one location than other manufacturers and that is what is keeping them ahead of the competition. Having to wait (ordered Jan 22) till April-May might change my mind.
OTA updates and phone app accessibility convenience are pretty big features for me, too that gives them the advantage in my mind.

Not just Superchargers. Better software w OTA as noted above. Battery development & supply chain. Simpler buying experience. Arguably better AI though certainly tbd. And maybe no longer a big selling point, but against all odds Tesla disrupted the entire auto industry, none of the legacy automakers would have driven EV adoption (China might have led).

What electric car alternative to Model Y LR at that price range do you think is the best overall?