Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance on delivery checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 will be my first car. I've used Zipcar a ton and rented cars (getting insurance with the rental), but I've never owned a car and therefore don't have my own car insurance.

I've started shopping around for rough quotes, but of course I can't get an actual policy without a VIN - which means that the "insurance" section on the delivery checklist is still sitting there empty. Everything else has green check marks.

Will this prevent me from getting a VIN assigned and delivery scheduled? Seems like a catch-22...

I don't think so. I put in my order at the end of June, and since it said the car wouldn't be delivered until October, I didn't bother putting in the other info, like license, insurance, etc. The next day I get an email saying they have a car for me and a VIN (I didn't ask what the VIN was at that point, as I didn't need it).

But it appears that missing that info is not an impediment to getting a car assigned to you.

My Model 3 will be my first car. I've used Zipcar a ton and rented cars (getting insurance with the rental), but I've never owned a car and therefore don't have my own car insurance.

I've started shopping around for rough quotes, but of course I can't get an actual policy without a VIN - which means that the "insurance" section on the delivery checklist is still sitting there empty. Everything else has green check marks.

Will this prevent me from getting a VIN assigned and delivery scheduled? Seems like a catch-22...

You're fine. Everything there can be considered optional as it mainly serves as a checklist. Not uploading won't delay the process but when you get your VIN, you should send it over to the insurance company ASAP.