TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance on delivery checklist

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by qbert, Jul 18, 2018.

1. qbert

qbert New Member

My Model 3 will be my first car. I've used Zipcar a ton and rented cars (getting insurance with the rental), but I've never owned a car and therefore don't have my own car insurance.

I've started shopping around for rough quotes, but of course I can't get an actual policy without a VIN - which means that the "insurance" section on the delivery checklist is still sitting there empty. Everything else has green check marks.

Will this prevent me from getting a VIN assigned and delivery scheduled? Seems like a catch-22...

2. albtrssp

albtrssp Member

I don't think so. I put in my order at the end of June, and since it said the car wouldn't be delivered until October, I didn't bother putting in the other info, like license, insurance, etc. The next day I get an email saying they have a car for me and a VIN (I didn't ask what the VIN was at that point, as I didn't need it).

But it appears that missing that info is not an impediment to getting a car assigned to you.

3. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

You're fine. Everything there can be considered optional as it mainly serves as a checklist. Not uploading won't delay the process but when you get your VIN, you should send it over to the insurance company ASAP.