Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Tripled after adding Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! proud owner of a used (new to me) model 3 LR. Just got back from going to the insurance office. My insurance tripled in price! I had a AMG before so I figured it would've been roughly the same. Should I shop around or should I go with Tesla insurance? anyone recommend Tesla insurance? and how much do you pay? thank you.

Holy cow. I went from a 13 Audi S5 to the 3P and it went up 30 bucks every 6 months. USAA. You don’t have to go Tesla, but get three quotes with Tesla being one of them (if you live in a state that allows Tesla Ins).

My 2020 MSP is $150-something monthly via Tesla Insurance, standard coverage. In my experience, Geico is initially competitive but expect a rate raise after a while. Everyone else is ridiculously expensive. I keep getting promo mailers from AAA about how they can save me big bux. Yeah, and they're like $500 a month.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
My 2020 MSP is $150-something monthly via Tesla Insurance, standard coverage. In my experience, Geico is initially competitive but expect a rate raise after a while. Everyone else is ridiculously expensive. I keep getting promo mailers from AAA about how they can save me big bux. Yeah, and they're like $500 a month.

Yea AAA wanted $500+, my AMG which cost way more was $220...

Yup, long time customer of AAA, guess I won't be anymore!

So was I... like 10 years. I still have their card, but swapped all my insurance finally this year after 2 years of paying their super high rates for my model 3 (which was more expensive than my fully loaded BMW 435, or my wifes fully loaded X3 M40, both around the same MSRP.

Not sure how you guys are getting all these low quotes, I've been averaging $350-450/mo. I am in my mid 20's, but sheesh that insurance is too high. I've also put my mother the primary driver of the Tesla. Cheapest I got was $1728/6mo with progressive... im really hoping Tesla Insurance is much cheaper.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Not sure how you guys are getting all these low quotes, I've been averaging $350-450/mo. I am in my mid 20's, but sheesh that insurance is too high. I've also put my mother the primary driver of the Tesla. Cheapest I got was $1728/6mo with progressive... im really hoping Tesla Insurance is much cheaper.

Maybe you need to ask your mother about her driving record.

Mine doubled with Geico. Went to AAA for one year and now to Travelers. both offer new car replacement

Is new car replacement a good idea for Tesla's?

The impression I get is that Tesla's are more expensive to repair and therefore are "totaled" more than comparable cars.

I suspect this situation of Tesla's getting "totaled" will get worse, as Tesla moves to single front and rear castings, with structural pack.

I have AAA insurance. My 2011 Chrysler 200 was $390 for 6 mo; now my Tesla M3 is $550 for 6 mo. About 40% increase, but I have excellent level coverage, and the value of the car is so much greater than the old one. Cost may also depend on driver's age, record, etc, and the state/location in which one lives. I knew it would be more expensive, so I'm ok with that. Part of living the dream..... :)