TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Insurance Tripled after adding Tesla

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Mrbattery123, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Mrbattery123

Mrbattery123 Member

Hello! proud owner of a used (new to me) model 3 LR. Just got back from going to the insurance office. My insurance tripled in price! I had a AMG before so I figured it would've been roughly the same. Should I shop around or should I go with Tesla insurance? anyone recommend Tesla insurance? and how much do you pay? thank you.

2. hlin07

hlin07 Member

Time to shop around. The difference can be in thousands. Try insurance brokers as well.

• Like x 2
  3. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

Holy cow. I went from a 13 Audi S5 to the 3P and it went up 30 bucks every 6 months. USAA. You don’t have to go Tesla, but get three quotes with Tesla being one of them (if you live in a state that allows Tesla Ins).

4. luke68bird

luke68bird Member

Try progressive, mine dropped when adding a Tesla

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

My 2020 MSP is $150-something monthly via Tesla Insurance, standard coverage. In my experience, Geico is initially competitive but expect a rate raise after a while. Everyone else is ridiculously expensive. I keep getting promo mailers from AAA about how they can save me big bux. Yeah, and they're like $500 a month.

• Like x 1
  6. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

OP who did you have? I had AAA and they are SUPER expensive with tesla's. I put up with it for a while, because my home is (was) also insured with them but finally switched this year.

Time to shop around, like you said.

7. Mrbattery123

Mrbattery123 Member

Yea AAA wanted $500+, my AMG which cost way more was $220...

8. Mrbattery123

Mrbattery123 Member

Yup, long time customer of AAA, guess I won't be anymore!

• Like x 1
  9. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

So was I... like 10 years. I still have their card, but swapped all my insurance finally this year after 2 years of paying their super high rates for my model 3 (which was more expensive than my fully loaded BMW 435, or my wifes fully loaded X3 M40, both around the same MSRP.

10. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

Isn't that insane? And that's exactly why Tesla started selling insurance. The rates elsewhere do not reflect accident stats.

11. JD M3

JD M3 Member

Time to look for new insurance! Progressive is very tesla friendly. There may be some others as well.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. HaroldC

HaroldC Member

Similar experience with Geico here. They wanted to triple my monthly. Shopped around and I got great quotes from Progressive and State Farm. Went with State Farm on the recommendation of my preferred body shop.

• Like x 1
  13. sightman

sightman Member

Progressive was good to me. Then renewed me at a 45% premium hike. No accidents, so I switched.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. buttnutt

buttnutt Member

Progressive was the best for me. 490$ for 6 months.

• Like x 1
  15. hungryjonjon

hungryjonjon Member

Mine doubled with Geico. Went to AAA for one year and now to Travelers. both offer new car replacement and both were cheaper than Geico when I had my Ford Fusion. I think the main lesson is always price check when it’s renewal time.

16. Mrbattery123

Mrbattery123 Member

Not sure how you guys are getting all these low quotes, I've been averaging $350-450/mo. I am in my mid 20's, but sheesh that insurance is too high. I've also put my mother the primary driver of the Tesla. Cheapest I got was $1728/6mo with progressive... im really hoping Tesla Insurance is much cheaper.

• Like x 1
  17. adrianp89

adrianp89 Member

Ours went down $150-$200 for 6 months, came from a 2016 Dodge Charger Hemi. Progressive, I pay about $500 for 6 months.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Maybe you need to ask your mother about her driving record.

• Funny x 6
  19. boiler81

boiler81 Member

Is new car replacement a good idea for Tesla's?

The impression I get is that Tesla's are more expensive to repair and therefore are "totaled" more than comparable cars.

I suspect this situation of Tesla's getting "totaled" will get worse, as Tesla moves to single front and rear castings, with structural pack.

20. Kat Jacks

Kat Jacks Supporting Member

I have AAA insurance. My 2011 Chrysler 200 was $390 for 6 mo; now my Tesla M3 is $550 for 6 mo. About 40% increase, but I have excellent level coverage, and the value of the car is so much greater than the old one. Cost may also depend on driver's age, record, etc, and the state/location in which one lives. I knew it would be more expensive, so I'm ok with that. Part of living the dream..... :)