Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Charging Issue (resumes charging after app stop charging)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Got back from a trip yesterday afternoon about 3pm with 60 miles remaining. I wanted to charge a bit but then stop the charge. I checked the phone app about an hour later and saw that I had reached 100 miles charge. I hit the "stop charging" button on the app, and confirmed charging stopped. When doing laundry later, I saw that the car was indeed not charging cause the EVSE light was not blinking.

When I go out to the car this morning, it apparently started charging on its own at some point, because I was up to 90% charge and 274 miles. I got a notification at 2:06am that charging was complete. I checked the charging settings in the car today and scheduled charging was not enabled.

Anyone know why the car would spontaneously start charging again after I stopped it in the app?

RT

Thread revival. I'm having the same "problem" as described above. At 10pm last night, I went to the app and hit "stop charging" and confirmed it did. Then this morning, it was charging when I went out to the car. It had resumed charging at some point during the night. I'm not using schedule charging.

Anyone know what's causing this behavior?

Thread revival. I'm having the same "problem" as described above. At 10pm last night, I went to the app and hit "stop charging" and confirmed it did. Then this morning, it was charging when I went out to the car. It had resumed charging at some point during the night. I'm not using schedule charging.

Anyone know what's causing this behavior?
I think it's not a problem .When you accessing the car,The car will revive from "sleeping mode",then detecting the charging gun is Plugged in,the car will charge again.The"stop charging"button on the app only can stop charging before the car enter "sleeping mode"。

When the charge drops by 3% it will start charging again until it reaches the percent charge you have set. If you stop a charge and don’t want it to charge any further (I don’t know why someone wouldn’t want a plugged in car to not charge, but whatever) you would need to set the charge level down to the current state of charge.

Definitely a bug. My wife plugged in the car, and it started charging immediately, not waiting for the schedule start. One 2 hour charge increased our electric bill to $485, which should have been no more than $400. I've now paid more for charging than I would have for gasoline in an SUV, for the the 5 weeks I've had this Model 3. Also one of the software updates eliminated the charge schedule. Luckily I noticed. I will now double check the schedule after very SW update. It would be better if a time window could be set to not allow charging (3-8pm, Mon-Fri, in my case). As is, I will consider some home re-wiring to either put the charger on a mechanical timer, or on a load controller circuit.

One 2 hour charge increased our electric bill to $485, which should have been no more than $400
:p Um, no. Let's work through the math.
The Model 3 can only pull 48A from home charging. That is 240V times 48A is 11.5kW. In 2 hours, that could only have used 23 kWh of energy. You think that it cost you $85 for those 23 kWh of energy. I guarantee you there is no possible way you could have an electric rate of $3.70 per kWh. That would be almost 10X some of the worst rates in the country.

The math is not that simple. Actually just 32A in this setup. It caused my on-peak demand to be 11.9kW, instead of a usual 6.9kW. That increased my "Demand charge on-peak - delivery to $47.60, my "Demand charge on-peak - generation" to be $159.91, and also contributed to the $36.18 for the "Generation of electricity on-peak," and also contributed to a few of the additional 18 components of my bill. With an on-peak demand of 6.9kW, that $159.91 component would have been about $85.70. That is a difference of $74.21 for just 1 of the 21 components of my bill last month. It is the Saver Choice Max service plan at APS in the Sonoran desert. The on-peak demand relates to a single hour, so it would not have mattered much more to the bill if the car charged at that same power for 20 hours, or 10x longer.