Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting data on EV vs ICE in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An employee of mine sent me this today since I've been talking up EVs a lot at work...not just since ordering my Model 3...I've had this 'issue' for many, many, years.

NEB - Feature Article: How much CO2 do electric vehicles, hybrids and gasoline vehicles emit?

Interesting to see the difference between say Alberta and Ontario/Quebec regarding the pollution differences between an EV and an ICE car. Even in the worst case the EVs come out on top, but when you factor in places that have 'greener' grids/generation its stupid that more people aren't on board with this.

DO YOU HEAR ME DOUGIE????? Compare Ontario and tell me EVs aren't helping????

But then again, his fat ass probably only fits in an F150 or a Caravan :mad:

upload_2018-9-19_13-47-58.png

upload_2018-9-19_13-47-41.png

upload_2018-9-19_13-48-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-19_13-47-8.png
    upload_2018-9-19_13-47-8.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 64
Interesting. They seem to make the strange assumption that PHEVs always run on electricity, or am I reading the charts wrong?

I haven't gone through the text in detail yet (just looked at the pretty pictures :) )...but the PHEV question really depends on the assumptions. I had a friend a few years ago run some calculations, and for him a plug in prius was way cheaper TCO than a volt because he only drove 30-40 km per day so could run almost exclusively on battery.

But for me, I had ~ 85km round trip commute, (down to 55km now). With a PHEV prius I would be running gas 70-80% of the time. With a volt, I'm 100% electric (52,000km on my gen 2 volt, only 2,000km on gas....the 2014 volt I had before this I traded in at 48,000 km, and used 2,500km on gas)....it really depends on your driving patterns, whether you have workplace charging, etc.

Tough to distill into a simple chart. In my driving, my Volt is better than a model S and much better than a model X since it gets better km/kWh. ICE vs BEV is a much more straightforward comparison.

Weird right? With all those mountains, you'd think they'd be swimming in hydroelectric stations.

Alberta is mostly plains, a bit of mountains only on the western edge. Most of the mountains are in B.C.

One note on that map -- Newfoundland has a massive hydro project underway, once it's complete they'll be totally green power, and I imagine they'll be selling the surplus to NB & NS, fixing their GHG issues as well.

Interesting stuff. I am guessing that they probably overestimate the CO2 emissions in Ontario as they may be assuming average emissions as opposed to marginal at 4am which is when most of us charge up our cars.

If you really care about reducing CO2 in Canada then we should be promoting EVs in BC, QC and ON far more than in places like AB. And that is the case, or at least it was until Ford got elected.