Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Poll Results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I have run two polls on my Model S blog, one several weeks ago that's closed and another that's ongoing. I find the results pretty interesting and not what I expected. The poll from a few weeks ago asked if people were considering buying a Tesla, and if so which one. Interesting that the Model X is close to the S (and this on my Model S blog):

Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 8.37.39 PM.png

The second asked if they were not planning on buying one, why were they hesitating:

Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 8.38.13 PM.png

Also fascinating. As of this sampling, range was not an issue, and neither was charge time. OK, it's probably fair to say these are statistically invalid, but they are a little interesting. I'll keep the second poll open a little longer if folks want to vote.

TD1 - Well, OK, for sake of debate, I'll disagree and tell you what I find valuable.

1. Model X:Model S ratio - Not far off Tesla's numbers of 70%, probably taken from Tesla enthusiasts. So, some level validation in either direction (admittedly minor). Do we think stock is pricing in 21,000 Model Xs in 2015 (70% of Elon's 30,000)? Dunno.
2. Range and Charge Time - Are not issues with Tesla enthusiasts. I am not going to take the time to do it, but 12 months ago, before anyone had a car, they were issues (read posts from first 1/2 of 2012 and before.) So that perception has shifted among the faithful. Which means the expanded superchargers/battery swap is mostly addressing the as yet uninitiated. That's good, Tesla doesn't have to convince me, it has to convince the person who hasn't bought yet.

There's always something to learn.

regarding the range anxiety, Elon said it already with the Roadster that they noticed that first the People would Charge after every trip, than only every night, and after owning the Car for a few weeks they charged only when necessary.
So that basically is the same conclusion as from your vote.

Dont get me wrong Im not trying to be offensive or anything just don't see to much new information to be gained from the results.

regarding the range anxiety, Elon said it already with the Roadster that they noticed that first the People would Charge after every trip, than only every night, and after owning the Car for a few weeks they charged only when necessary.

I've had a Roadster for almost four years, and I'm still at stage 2: I charge every night. It's better for the battery, it's easier to just be in the habit of plugging in when I get home at night, and then it's always full in the morning in case I need to do something unexpected.

Now, charging on the road is generally unnecessary and kind of a pain, so I almost never bother.

bolosky - I am sort of in stage 1.5. I generally plug in every time I return, but not always. I almost always then plug in after my last trip of the day. I have only charged away from home twice, when on an overnight business trip at a hotel (maybe this is a new poll?)

TD1 - No offense taken. While 50%+ of the people who have answered the second poll own a Model S already, I'd be pretty certain that 50% of the overall blog readers don't. For one, there are 30,000 views so far in a few months, and there are only 10,000 Model S' in the world. So I was surprised that is the leading answer of that poll. That Gen3 is so low in the other poll surprises me - I guess until we get a glimpse at it, it's not as compelling.