Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla switches to high-pressure sales tactics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I really liked about Tesla (long time ago before I even got my 1st Tesla) was the smooth and easy experience with the “sales locations/shop”, even after a test-drive. No question asked, given the keys, test drive, handed keys back, out.

I drive a Model S now. Recently I wanted my wife to test-drive a Model X to see if she likes it. We went to a Tesla shop, and the someone from sales asked 2-3 questions and felt like he would like to hang out with us around the car, showing it to us… I told him I have a Tesla already and i think we are good for the test drive, so he left.

After we came back from the test drive, he kind of was waiting for us, and started asking 100 questions… what do u think, would like to order one, when do u think u want to order one, oh we have inventory, it’s better than ordering new, oh I can help u with an online order… it took me 15 min to be able to leave the shop. Even then, during the next 2 weeks I’d get a call and text almost every 3-5 days. When did tesla switch to this nasty high-pressure sale approach? That’s not good at all…

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday and KJD
End of quarter and end of year quotas.

Also inventory has been stacking up for the latter half of this year, a first time problem for Tesla. They used to always have orders coming in faster than they can build them. The cars sold themselves so they didn’t need any sales pressure. Now they are making more cars than they have orders for and need to try to get rid of them.

I’m sure sales associates have significant end of year/quarter incentives dangled in front of them despite “not being paid on commission.”

I don’t think this is particularly new… I’ve been around this company for 8+ years now. Every time I take a test drive, fill out an online form, or sometimes do nothing at all I get texts, calls, or emails asking if I’m ready to place an order, trade in, buy a powerwall, etc etc etc.

Your experience is interesting to me and very different from mine. I’m new to Tesla and took my first test drive just a few weeks ago. I ended up taking three different test drives at two different locations and didn’t feel any pressure at all. Quite the opposite actually, very low key. First time he had me watch a short video about the basics of how to operate the car, asked if I had any questions then said enjoy. After the test drive he asked if he could answer any questions. I said no and he said to get in touch if I had any. He said he’d send a follow up text soon and reply to that if I had any questions. First drive at a different location, asked if I had any questions then said enjoy. Second drive at the first location, asked if I had any questions then said enjoy. I ended up buying a new, inventory M3 RWD and couldn’t be happier with the buying experience and the car.

Your experience is interesting to me and very different from mine. I’m new to Tesla and took my first test drive just a few weeks ago. I ended up taking three different test drives at two different locations and didn’t feel any pressure at all. Quite the opposite actually, very low key. First time he had me watch a short video about the basics of how to operate the car, asked if I had any questions then said enjoy. After the test drive he asked if he could answer any questions. I said no and he said to get in touch if I had any. He said he’d send a follow up text soon and reply to that if I had any questions. First drive at a different location, asked if I had any questions then said enjoy. Second drive at the first location, asked if I had any questions then said enjoy. I ended up buying a new, inventory M3 RWD and couldn’t be happier with the buying experience and the car.
My experience with the (no-pressure) sale was when were were living in NC years ago. We moved to a different state now, so my guess is that all this might depend on the location obviously….

Reactions: RazorB