Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interestingly I find regen braking one of my favorite things

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bolt has even MORE aggressive regen than the Leaf
We need to be careful about terminology. To me "regen" means "recapturing kinetic energy / momentum into charge / SOC, braking while doing so".

My understanding is that the Bolt "slowing to zero mph while not applying friction brakes" includes using battery energy to do so. If correct, I wouldn't label this regen.

As for the Leaf, using the friction brakes doesn't sound like regen to me:
E-Pedal mode on the Leaf boosts the regenerative braking by a massive amount, meaning that when you lift off the gas the car slows down very aggressively. It'll even bring itself to a complete stop and hold itself there using the physical brakes, even on a hill, until you hit the gas again.

Last edited:
"Bolt has even MORE aggressive regen than the Leaf"
We need to be careful about terminology. To me "regen" means "recapturing kinetic energy / momentum into charge / SOC, braking while doing so".

My understanding is that the Bolt "slowing to zero mph while not applying friction brakes" includes using battery energy to do so. If correct, I wouldn't label this regen.
You are mistaken.

You are mistaken.
Looks like I misremembered (or the article I read a bit back was wrong). Mea culpa.
It seems like it was friction brakes, not battery consumption:
Chevy has tuned the complex powertrain-control software to blend increasing amounts of friction braking into the waning regeneration as the car slows at a stoplight, for example.
What IS 'one-pedal driving' in an electric car?
Again, for the same reason as the Leaf, calling it "regen" is as incomplete/deceptive/confusing as the FUD around "EV" labelling of hybrids, IMO.

One pedal driving, sure. "Regen" no.

Looks like I misremembered (or the article I read a bit back was wrong). Mea culpa.
It seems like it was friction brakes, not battery consumption:

What IS 'one-pedal driving' in an electric car?
Again, for the same reason as the Leaf, calling it "regen" is as incomplete/deceptive/confusing as the FUD around "EV" labelling of hybrids, IMO.

One pedal driving, sure. "Regen" no.
The Bolt does not have "blended" brakes. If it did...it would have Adaptive Cruise Control. Your link is to a really old article.

Last edited:
Exclusive: Inside The Chevrolet Bolt With Its Chief Engineer - New Details
upload_2018-9-9_20-38-24.png

upload_2018-9-9_20-40-11.png

Bolt EV has blended brakes via Bosch. [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum
UPDATED: Yes it does have blended braking, just a different tech and supplier, see how and why here Bolt EV has blended brakes via Bosch.

Bolt EV has blended brakes via Bosch.
The answer, according to Ligouri, is that the Bolt EV uses a new and better-feeling brake pedal system that continues to include both enhanced regenerative and friction braking.
Ligouri = Fred Ligouri, Chevrolet Communications

Covered here as well:
https://www.hybridcars.com/new-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-details-emerge-as-first-deliveries-approach/

Would also be interesting to hear from Bolt owners how the One Pedal Driving experience is when the Bolt is fully charged. If it remains unchanged / as effective, then where is the "regen" going while the battery is full?

Would also be interesting to hear from Bolt owners how the One Pedal Driving experience is when the Bolt is fully charged. If it remains unchanged / as effective, then where is the "regen" going while the battery is full?
Regen is very low or zero when fully charged. Thats why most use hilltop reserve which charges to 89% so we get full regen.

I'm also loving the regen. Interesting characteristic though, if you point the car slightly uphill with creep off and foot not on brake. Unlike a traditional automatic, it just rolls backward with no apparent resistance... more like a "neutral". Now I double-check the hill hold (H) is active before I let go of the brake, to prevent a subsequently embarrassing minor accident.

• Informative
Reactions: Relayer
Yep. Good article regarding the Leaf's E-Pedal...yeah...they say "gas" a bunch...but one gets the point about TRUE one pedal driving: 2018 Nissan Leaf long-term update: One pedal (near) perfection

and....the Bolt has even MORE aggressive regen than the Leaf: Anxiously waiting an AWD review / videos

From Motor Trend:

screen-shot-2018-08-29-at-5-50-09-am-png.330051

Well, from this graphic the Model 3 regen sucks. What, do I have to buy a D3P+ to get track mode just to get decent regeneration? I was hoping the the Model 3's regen could be configured to be at least as strong as my Volt driving in low (which I do 99% of the time).

Bolt has excellent regen and I especially liked the paddle that will bring you to a full stop without using the brakes, but Tesla's isn't terrible.

I sold my volt last week and I must say, driving my ICE to work while I wait for the delivery feels very primitive and wasteful every time I stop.

Reactions: APotatoGod