Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior camera question - is it being used currently but not reported?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find myself surprised by this discussion. I have a Model 3 with premium interior, purchased June 2019. When I was using autopilot, if I took my eyes off the road for a couple of seconds to select a song on the screen, I got a loud chime, and a message popped up on the screen, telling me to pay attention. Once, I was thinking about something, so my eyes turned downward and to the right for a few seconds, and the same thing happened. I have never taken my hands off the steering wheel. I thought everyone had this feature.

I find myself surprised by this discussion. I have a Model 3 with premium interior, purchased June 2019. When I was using autopilot, if I took my eyes off the road for a couple of seconds to select a song on the screen, I got a loud chime, and a message popped up on the screen, telling me to pay attention. Once, I was thinking about something, so my eyes turned downward and to the right for a few seconds, and the same thing happened. I have never taken my hands off the steering wheel. I thought everyone had this feature.
TBH, I'm still waiting for delivery of my car, but I read through the owners manual and it mentions nothing about a feature like that, it says the cabin camera is disabled.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson

Absolute coincidence.

Nobody, including you, has any eye tracking features in their Tesla.

It's not super uncommon for a Tesla to not detect hands on wheel even when they're there depending how you're holding it.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Nobody, including you, has any eye tracking feature
LindyPearl is a new member and based on what he posted on another thread I believe him to be a negative Tesla troll.

Here is the link to his February 6th answer to another Autopilot thread that is so out of touch with the vast, vast majority of Tesla Autopilot users.
I think I just wasted $7,000 on FSD?

• Informative
Reactions: G4Z808
I've seen some reviews of minivans where there is a back seat camera that lets the driver see what's going on back there on the main infotainment display. Usually you seem to see it in minvans and other family vehicles where you could have small kids acting up in back. I wonder if the field of view of that camera would work for that.

LindyPearl is a new member and based on what he posted on another thread I believe him to be a negative Tesla troll.
Are you kidding me? I'm a new Tesla owner, trying to figure out what's going on. I'm not an engineer or a technician or a computer genius. I am simply a new owner who was looking forward to the car taking me on vacations in the future while I slept or read. I thought it would take me to the grocery store when I got too old to drive myself. Unfortunately, I had some bad experiences that scared me to death, and now feel that Tesla has promised things they will never be able to deliver regarding self-driving during my lifetime, or at least not during the life of my car. I am not the only one who thinks that. A Tesla tech told me that he believes self-driving will never happen. I almost sold my car because of those experiences, but another owner talked me into giving her another try, and I'm glad I did. I enjoy her enormously without using any of the self-driving features. But if I talk about those scary experiences, are you going to try to take away my credibility and my voice by calling me a troll? You say I'm a troll because I thought an internal camera must be there based on my own experience of the car telling me to pay attention when I took my eyes of the road for a few seconds? How can that possibly equate to being a troll? The car warns me if it thinks I have taken my hands off the wheel. That is an entirely different warning message from the "pay attention" message. So I came to my own conclusion. I was enjoying participating in the discussion and read every single post before sharing my own experience. So don't call me names and try to tell people not to listen to me by calling me something I am not!

I apologize. I mistakenly realized too late your excitement and passion for your Tesla caused you to post negatively biased comments. I have read a lot of purposely written false information posted by bad actors and I need to be more discerning in my own comments. In the future I will try to be more understanding.

I think I might be able to help you with your perceived Tesla dissatisfactions. I have found that reading the Owners Manual helps a lot. I have read sections of it several times. Our Tesla's can be complicated to understand and we owe it to ourselves to read for comprehension as often as is appropriate. This is true especially because the programming is constantly evolving. I urge you to read the Owners Manual from front to back at least once and then as necessary going forward. If you don't see something in the Owners Manual please don't invent a behavior not documented. Our Tesla's deserve better owners than this. You will be doing yourself the biggest favor because you will have self adjusted your own expectations and reduced your confusion with your Tesla's programming. I wish you the absolute best experiences with your Tesla in the future.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
I apologize. I mistakenly realized too late your excitement and passion for your Tesla caused you to post negatively biased comments. I have read a lot of purposely written false information posted by bad actors and I need to be more discerning in my own comments. In the future I will try to be more understanding.

I think I might be able to help you with your perceived Tesla dissatisfactions. I have found that reading the Owners Manual helps a lot. I have read sections of it several times. Our Tesla's can be complicated to understand and we owe it to ourselves to read for comprehension as often as is appropriate. This is true especially because the programming is constantly evolving. I urge you to read the Owners Manual from front to back at least once and then as necessary going forward. If you don't see something in the Owners Manual please don't invent a behavior not documented. Our Tesla's deserve better owners than this. You will be doing yourself the biggest favor because you will have self adjusted your own expectations and reduced your confusion with your Tesla's programming. I wish you the absolute best experiences with your Tesla in the future.

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I have read the owner's manual front to back, and certain sections several times. And I agree, after the second or third readings, plus after having experiences in the car that you don't understand, reading it again can help me understand more clearly what is being said. I will take your advice and read it yet again.

But do not "invent" behaviors not documented! I described exactly what I experienced. If you all tell me that it is an "absolute coincidence," I can accept that. Besides, there are many behaviors not documented. That would be the purpose of a bug report. That's why all the self-driving features are in Beta. If every possible behavior were documented, there would be no need for Beta testing. And if all the features and their use were perfectly clear to everyone, then there would be no need for this forum.

As for my comment about the interior camera, I wasn't trying to say anything negative. I truly thought there was one, and I thought that was a great thing. I am not afraid of it. Also, there have been discussions (see Interior Camera) about people covering the interior camera because they felt uncomfortable being watched. So why wouldn't I believe there is an internal camera?

Speaking of cameras, the reason I logged in to this forum last night, is that I was going to post a beautiful artistic photo of my Pearl. I thought it would be cool if others wanted to post artistic photos too.

As for my comment about the interior camera, I wasn't trying to say anything negative. I truly thought there was one, and I thought that was a great thing. I am not afraid of it. Also, there have been discussions (see Interior Camera) about people covering the interior camera because they felt uncomfortable being watched. So why wouldn't I believe there is an internal camera?
there absolutely is an interior camera. You can can see it for yourself above the rear-view mirror. It's even documented in the owner's manual. It's listed as not active yet:
upload_2020-3-3_15-15-13.png

Thank you so much for clarifying. I don't know how I missed the note that it wasn't active yet. I am looking forward to its activation. Hopefully it will track eye movements and make sure I am totally alert until FSD becomes a reality.

As discussed pretty exhaustively already-including on page 1 of this very thread- it's not intended, or even capable, of doing that.

It's the wrong type of camera, in the wrong location, and lacking any needed supporting hardware, to do that.