TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Interior Camera

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JPUConn, Aug 12, 2018.

1. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

what are people doing with the big brother camera on the interior of their 3’s?

I was thinking of putting a piece of tape on mine

2. JulienW

JulienW Member

Elon had it "rocket science" designed to see through tape so he could personally watch you. Only a hammer will be effective.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

Smart! Don't wanna have photos picking one's nose making its way to the internet! Can we call it the nose pick cam?

-Randy

4. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Why else tint the windows super dark?

• Like x 1
  5. cella

cella Member

Well, even Zuckerberg covers his laptop camera and he should know. :p

If you are concerned about it, perhaps use one of those sliding webcam covers?

• Like x 1
  6. JulienW

JulienW Member

Zuckerberg covers it because computers relatively easy to hack and he unlike me, you or the OP he is targeted for valuable info. However he or the OP or you don't worry about or cover your smart phone's camera that is 'seeing' you much of the day since it is sandboxed.

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

You certainly don't want it capturing you having sex while driving at 70 mph!

I don't believe that the camera is turned on, and even if it was, I doubt that it would be the first place to hack . It would be much more fun watching a car go from 0 to 60 to 0 in the middle of the Interstate, from a hacker's perspective.

8. cella

cella Member

Be that as it may, since the camera is apparently not functional yet, there's no harm in covering it if it makes you feel better. I'd like to hear from Tesla what they are planning to use it for though.

Longer term, one potential concern I can think of is that captured footage from the camera could be used against you in an insurance claim (e.g. if it shows you staring at the center screen or your phone instead of the street).

9. Darscot

Darscot Member

Everytime I see that pic it makes me gringe, do people actually believe Zuckerbergs desk is just in the middle of a cube farm with no privacy. That looks like an interns desk, he happened to sit at for the picture.

10. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

#10 insaneoctane, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    If Tesla used the interior camera image as a background (properly framed, of course) for adjusting the air vents, more people would NOT put tape on them....
    air vent visual.png

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1