Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent charging Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last few weeks have had intermittent charging problems with my Model 3. Connect to home charger and it I indicates no power, yet I connect my wife’s Zoe and it charges straight away, so definitely not a charger issue. I feel somethings changed since the last software update. If I faff about locking the car, unlocking the car, resetting it and taking it for a drive around the block it will eventually work, but am seriously not happy ! Anyone else had this ?

Connect to home charger
What exactly is this device and how is it connected?

I connect my wife’s Zoe and it charges straight away, so definitely not a charger issue.
It doesn't necessarily rule that out. One of the things Tesla does is include a bit more monitoring and checking of possible bad connections, whereas other cars like the Zoe might not even be trying to look at that. So the Tesla may be catching a circuit problem that the Zoe is overlooking.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Try charging the car at two or three other L2 chargers. That will isolate the problem - if the problem recurs at other chargers, your car’s charge port or internal chargers need attention. Else your home charger is misbehaving.

Some easy measures:
- Ensure no vehicle is attached to your home charger. Turn off its circuit breaker. Count s-l-o-w-l-y to 10. Turn on circuit breaker and try charging.

- Get some “canned air” used to blast dust off electronics. Attach the red straw to the nozzle, open Tesla’s charge port and go crazy blasting all the connector pins and every crevice or nook you can find. There is no risk - the port’s high voltage pins are not connected until a charger is attached and the negotiation succeeds.

My guess is that the charge port’s connector lock is not engaging. Possibly because some debris prevents the connector/plug from being fully inserted, possibly because some debris blocks the locking mechanism.

Last edited:
Try charging the car at two or three other L2 chargers. That will isolate the problem - if the problem recurs at other chargers, your car’s charge port or internal chargers need attention. Else your home charger is misbehaving.

Some easy measures:
- Ensure no vehicle is attached to your home charger. Turn off its circuit breaker. Count s-l-o-w-l-y to 10. Turn on circuit breaker and try charging.

- Get some “canned air” used to blast dust off electronics. Attach the red straw to the nozzle, open Tesla’s charge port and go crazy blasting all the connector pins and every crevice or nook you can find. There is no risk - the port’s high voltage pins are not connected until a charger is attached and the negotiation succeeds.

My guess is that the charge port’s connector lock is not engaging. Possibly because some debris prevents the connector/plug from being fully inserted, possibly because some debris blocks the locking mechanism.
Thanks nick, tried that, turns out the cable is faulty. Tried the 3 pin charge cable and it worked, as did the Zoe type 2 cable. Thanks for the tips 😀