Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Wiper Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model S.
I received 11.4.7 this morning.
This afternoon I took a short trip and was unable to get the intermittent wipers to work. They would not work with autowipers beta on or off. They function normally when selecting a speed - just no function on either of the intermittent settings. I'm not sure if this could be software related or if I have had some sort of electrical failure causing this behavior. Any ideas here? I hate to setup a service appointment and all that entails if I might be able to solve this on my own with a reset. Thanks in advance-

2018 Model X
I received the latest software update and installed it Wed evening (30Aug2023). I have also lost intermittent wiper controls but still have normal on (fast/slow) and push-button wipe. Intermittent does not work with AutoWipers beta on or off. This is the exact same problem as described by MurrayJimW.
I am sure others will have the same issue with the latest update once they attempt to use Intermittent Wiper settings.
I have done the 2 finger reset with no change.

Is there anyway to reset the Intermittent wiper controls?

2018 Model X
I received the latest software update and installed it Wed evening (30Aug2023). I have also lost intermittent wiper controls but still have normal on (fast/slow) and push-button wipe. Intermittent does not work with AutoWipers beta on or off. This is the exact same problem as described by MurrayJimW.
I am sure others will have the same issue with the latest update once they attempt to use Intermittent Wiper settings.
I have done the 2 finger reset with no change.

Is there anyway to reset the Intermittent wiper controls?
Thanks for posting. Glad to know it's most probably a software issue. I did set up a service appointment, but it's still a couple of weeks out. Hopefully they figure this out and push a fix before the appointment.

Thanks for posting. Glad to know it's most probably a software issue. I did set up a service appointment, but it's still a couple of weeks out. Hopefully they figure this out and push a fix before the appointment.
Thanks for replying. I attempted to set up a service appointment and the Tesla guy told me that because the issue started with the latest software update, there will be a future software release that will fix the issue. That sounds great, BUT:
* How does the software bug issue get back to the Tesla team as a problem to solve?
* Is there a phone number or email address that can be used to report software bugs to the Tesla developer team?

Please post about what happens with your Service Request? Answer to the problem if any?

Thanks in advance
Thanks for replying. I attempted to set up a service appointment and the Tesla guy told me that because the issue started with the latest software update, there will be a future software release that will fix the issue. That sounds great, BUT:
* How does the software bug issue get back to the Tesla team as a problem to solve?
* Is there a phone number or email address that can be used to report software bugs to the Tesla developer team?
My appointment is still intact. They reached out for more detail and I informed them of your issue and sent a link to this thread. As of now they are still researching the issue and promised to get back to me- will post more detail if I get any-

I had the same problem today in my 2019 S. Intermittent auto settings have always been great, but today I drove for three hours in the rain, and they were massively dysfunctional. When turned on, the wipers would either wipe like mad when there was minimal drizzle, or not wipe at all in driving rain. Sometimes they would start to operate normally then go berserk in one extreme or the other. I was thinking that either the windshield sensor camera had failed or it was the recent software update, now firmly believe its the software. How can one bring this to Tesla's attention?

ok wow I have this same issue and I noticed it just after updating to 11.4.7, sorry I started a seperate thread since I didn't see this one in time

I'm texting with service over this. By my count we now have 4 confirmed cases of X/S 2017-2019 cars experiencing this. I'll post when they reply back on a path forward-
I'd bet there are many more out there with the issue who just haven't realized it yet. I didn't notice it until yesterday as it hadn't rained in my area since the most recent software update.

Reactions: MurrayJimW
All, I have also lost my cruise control. FSD does work (no issues) but cruise control does not, so this smells software as well.

Have any of you that have lost Intermittent Wipers checked your Cruise Control to see if it's still functional, or have you lost it as well?

All, I have also lost my cruise control. FSD does work (no issues) but cruise control does not, so this smells software as well.

Have any of you that have lost Intermittent Wipers checked your Cruise Control to see if it's still functional, or have you lost it as well?
My cruise is ok. I cannot find any other function missing except the intermittent wipers at this point.

I had this issue at one point (a year or more ago). Support had me power down the car for about 3 minutes and when it came back up cruise worked again. You might try it.

Controls - Safety - Power Off

Wait a minimum of two minutes before touching any controls or the brake. Pressing the brake will start the car back up after the power off.

Good luck -

Service appointment cancelled. While Tesla is not admitting this is a firmware issue, they are seeing a good many service requests for intermittent wiper failures. There is one case where the appointment took place and the part being replaced did not resolve the issue. I feel confident the next firmware push will correct this issue. They are not able to roll back to previous firmware remotely per a representative so best advice from here is hold tight and wait for the next software push-

Reactions: rwpg
We were away over the weekend and noticed this problem on our X. Got back to today and it's also a problem on my S. Both recently upgraded to 2023.7.30.

Before I noticed the issue on the S I opened a service request and this morning got a quote for $850 or so. I'm guessing that won't be needed.

Reactions: MurrayJimW
My cruise is ok. I cannot find any other function missing except the intermittent wipers at this point.

I had this issue at one point (a year or more ago). Support had me power down the car for about 3 minutes and when it came back up cruise worked again. You might try it.

Controls - Safety - Power Off

Wait a minimum of two minutes before touching any controls or the brake. Pressing the brake will start the car back up after the power off.

Good luck -
Thanks for the response. I checked again this morning and the cruise is back. I now assume this is unrelated.

Service appointment cancelled. While Tesla is not admitting this is a firmware issue, they are seeing a good many service requests for intermittent wiper failures. There is one case where the appointment took place and the part being replaced did not resolve the issue. I feel confident the next firmware push will correct this issue. They are not able to roll back to previous firmware remotely per a representative so best advice from here is hold tight and wait for the next software push-
I think you are right. Next update will probably have a fix since Tesla is now aware of the issue and seeing it as more pervasive than just a few cars.

Appreciate your help with letting us know what you have found out.