Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.7.30 and Loss of Autowipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hell no, this isn’t documented anywhere. Nor are all the different alert sounds & what they mean - you have to learn them by experience, which is ridiculous.
The sounds of the car (including various noises) are actually documented here:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-AA58ED67-9C93-4EE6-8B19-9FDABE018787.html

This actually is far more than other manufacturers document. I'm not aware of other manufacturers documenting things this way.
I’m just suggesting something that appeared to work/help. You loose nothing by trying.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
The sounds of the car (including various noises) are actually documented here:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-AA58ED67-9C93-4EE6-8B19-9FDABE018787.html

This actually is far more than other manufacturers document. I'm not aware of other manufacturers documenting things this way.

I've learned the manual I studied hard before picking up my car has changed over the past 3.5 years (and that I should update the version on my phone that is there in case I have a blank screen and no LTE to figure out what to do.)

I've also learned that those changes or the significance of those changes are often not referred to in the update notes.

It would be useful if those update notes included links to the specific parts of the manual that have changed since the previous update.

For instance, the new icon A inside a rectangle that appears on the screen is documented in the 2023.38 release notes. But a link to a page with all icons would be useful, not only to see where that icon will appear on the screen, but also to refresh one's memory of what all the icons are or at least a different icon added without you making note of it in the release notes.

Of course, with this disclaimer: "Note The following image is provided for demonstration purposes only. Depending on vehicle options, software version, and market region, the information displayed may be slightly different." perhaps even tesla can't show me what everything is that might appear on my screen (and you'll see that the Location Sharing icon doesn't appear anywhere in this icons you may see page.)

I couldn't find it in the manual even searching using, "location sharing" + icon.

You can see why people rely on forums and trial by error in order to learn WTF the car is telling them and HowTF they are supposed to get things like the wipers to work better. Or, in a recent example for me, how to get the audible click of the turn signals to actually be audible once more when it went away (and no update had been done at all, and even weirder, both profiles had Joe Mode enabled but only one profile had a muffled signal click.)

I observed something today. When I started out, Autowipers absolutely would not work. I also noticed that the FSD icons like Autosteer did not appear, and if I tried to activate FSD, I got an error message that it wasn’t available.

After I reached my destination, I did the two-thumb wheel reboot, and the FSD icons reappeared on the display. Autowipers also began working again immediately. My conclusion is that Tesla has integrated Autowipers into the FSD software or made Autowipers dependent upon FSD.

I observed something today. When I started out, Autowipers absolutely would not work. I also noticed that the FSD icons like Autosteer did not appear, and if I tried to activate FSD, I got an error message that it wasn’t available.

After I reached my destination, I did the two-thumb wheel reboot, and the FSD icons reappeared on the display. Autowipers also began working again immediately. My conclusion is that Tesla has integrated Autowipers into the FSD software or made Autowipers dependent upon FSD.
I say instead it's that both Auto wipers and Autosteer depend on the cameras, and when they are not working properly, both don't work.