Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.7.30 and Loss of Autowipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
Since I received 2023.7.30, I've lost Autowiper functionality, and it's VERY annoying after all the years of Autowipers not working, then working poorly, then finally working reasonably well as the many firmware updates flowed out of Tesla. I've called the nationwide support number and have been told various things (like repeatedly rebooting the vehicle), but nothing about a fault in the 2023.7.30 release.

I finally made a service appointment after the last call to the nationwide support number had no other ideas. The service appointment was cancelled with the following message:

1694715953129.jpeg

At least this confirms that the firmware release is responsible for my Autowiper problems.

Now for the plot twist: we finally had a rainy day recently in the Seattle area, and Autowipers would not work as I started out on a trip. I activated FSD beta just to see if Autowipers would work in that mode, and they did! Further, Autowipers kept working after I disengaged FSD beta. Weird. For those out there suffering the same as I have with 2023.7.30, try what I tried and see if you recover Autowiper functionality.

I just have to ask the stupid question. Are the wipers set to Auto? Do they work at the other speeds?
And you do know that by pushing the left stalk button, it brings the wiper choice up?

With that said, the wipers aren't broken for my two cars both on 2023.7.30.

The problem may only exist on MX and MS vehicles. Yes, I have the Autowiper function set on the turn signal lever - MX and MY don’t have these controls under Settings. It’s clear that Tesla knows about the Autowiper problem on my vehicle.

Pressing the button on the turn signal lever only provides a single wipe, no further displays.

On my 2021 MY I noticed auto wipers not working since the last update .7.30. On my latest trip, on Monday there was some rain and they didn’t auto and was driving with just adaptive cruise. However, on Tuesday, with only a small amount of rain on the windshield, the auto wipers started working. The version hasn’t changed but maybe they did somekind of stealth bug fix update?

I’m also in Seattle and learned this recently as well on my new MS. Odd to say as a Seattle-ite but hoping for a rainy day soon to try the FSD workaround… or another way to look at it… the $200/month subscription for automatic wipers. Haha. Just have to laugh at this stuff sometimes.

• Funny
Reactions: AngryLitig8r
If you get rain, try activating FSD & see if Autowipers come back. I had put in a destination when I tried it.

I've been on this release for over two weeks. When it first came out, for me, Autwipers didn't wipe at all.

Since they, it feels like they tweaked something and they're back to... technically working... but it feels worse. We had some rain yesterday and they were wiping quite a bit less than I'd like. That was on FSD w/ a destination. Overall still worse than 11.4.4 although it's possible I have an excessively rosy view of how they used to be.

I'm really frustrated with Tesla software updates being so poorly tested that they ship bugs like this to customers. How is this acceptable?

I'll also observe that if Tesla allowed us to roll back a single release, everyone would be happy. Service would have a real answer, customers would be able to get a solution immediately instead of some no-ETA.

On my 2021 MY I noticed auto wipers not working since the last update .7.30. On my latest trip, on Monday there was some rain and they didn’t auto and was driving with just adaptive cruise. However, on Tuesday, with only a small amount of rain on the windshield, the auto wipers started working. The version hasn’t changed but maybe they did somekind of stealth bug fix update?
I asked the Tesla service reps via text if there had been a stealth update sent out to fix the Autowiper problem, and the denied that had happened.

They can 'fix' the wiper problem by tweaking FSD 11.4.7. After having the worst wiper blade experiences, I now have had NO PROBLEMS after my last service (Sep 14, 2023) experience. The 'fix' also reduced my number of Phantom Braking to nearly zero. So they CAN Fix IT. I will let you know if it reappears in the future.

They can 'fix' the wiper problem by tweaking FSD 11.4.7. After having the worst wiper blade experiences, I now have had NO PROBLEMS after my last service (Sep 14, 2023) experience. The 'fix' also reduced my number of Phantom Braking to nearly zero. So they CAN Fix IT. I will let you know if it reappears in the future.
The service centers cannot tweak firmware builds. They could reinstall a firmware build.

I can't believe that after the recent updates this problem has not been fixed. Driving today in Florida and it started to pour. Yes, I had the wipers set to auto and I also activated FSD and that did not fix the problem. Tesla needs to address this. My kids have much cheaper cars with auto wipers that work fine.

When in rainy conditions & Autowipers on, try triggering single-wipes repeatedly as the view gets too bad. The goal is that after doing this a few times, the Autowiper algorithm will kick in and start running. It may take a few repeats of this process to see improvement. Mine are working reasonably well after having “taught” the algorithm when to work. They’re still problematic at times.

When in rainy conditions & Autowipers on, try triggering single-wipes repeatedly as the view gets too bad. The goal is that after doing this a few times, the Autowiper algorithm will kick in and start running. It may take a few repeats of this process to see improvement. Mine are working reasonably well after having “taught” the algorithm when to work. They’re still problematic at times.
Is this feature documented anywhere? Or potentially just a placebo?

It would be really useful to allow us to set the wiper speed just by manually pressing the button 2-3 times at the rate we want (regardless of whether it auto-adjusts from there or just keeps that speed), that would seem to be a much more elegant way to set any desired wiping pace.

Reactions: gsmith123
Hell no, this isn’t documented anywhere. Nor are all the different alert sounds & what they mean - you have to learn them by experience, which is ridiculous.

I’m just suggesting something that appeared to work/help. You loose nothing by trying.