Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent wipers stopped working on 2018 Model S with stalks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rain sensor probably went out. this is exactly how mine were acting when it broke

Untitled.png

oh I'm not talking about the auto wiper function, just the intermittent setting on the stalk. Would that also be affected by the rain sensor? I always thought it was just on a timer
I have a mid-2016 AP1 version, so not the same as the 2018, but I WISH my intermittent function was just on a timer. My understanding has always been that the AP1 intermittent function was driven by a physical rain sensor where the AP2 Oct-2016 and later are all a vision based algorithm. The AP2 setup did not contain an actual rail sensor which is one of the aspects that got a lot of discussion (complaint, griping?) on discussion boards at the time of the change-over.

Even my mid-2016 AP1 MS90D intermittent wiper capability is very poor in my opinion. It's inconsistent, even on the low intermittent setting will suddenly decide I must be in total downpour and go crazy wild for no real reason. Honestly, it's to the point that I either an just triggering it manually by stalk for a single swipe, or I turn the wipers on low for a couple swipes then turn it off. It's the only thing from my old 2016 Odyssey mini-van which I wish I had in my MS90D ... a good variable wiper setting where I could easily dial the frequency up or down via rotating collar on the stalk and it actually perform in a consistent way.

Unfortunately it seems that even 7 years later Tesla still hasn't figured out a way to implement a good intermittent feature using their vision only based sensor suite.

Reactions: nsxpert
oh I'm not talking about the auto wiper function, just the intermittent setting on the stalk. Would that also be affected by the rain sensor? I always thought it was just on a timer
nope no timer just the rain sensor, it senses how hard the rain is coming down and adjusts the speed of the wipers accordingly, there is no intermittent setting like a normal car where you can adjust how fast or slow the pause between swipes is.
The 2 sensored spots on the wiper knob are for the rain sensor swiping bottom is normal and the top is more aggressive sense, then above that is constant on

Reactions: nsxpert
I thought the 2017 Model S onward did not have rain sensors. The auto wiper beta was using one or more of the front cameras to determine the intensity of the rain and adjusting the speed accordingly. I never liked the job it was doing and turned auto wiper beta off. I got a slow intermittent on the first setting and a higher one on the second with the beta off. I believe that setting was also tied to vehicle speed when auto wiper beta was set to off.

I believe this failure to be similar to my own and one other user on here. All seem to be 2017-2018 cars and all stopped working just as the last software update rolled out.

If anyone knows for sure please correct me-

It just happened to both of my cars. I think it's a software bug.

I also have the intermittent wiper issue after the last update. Tesla service just confirmed (9/20/23) it is a firmware issue that will be addressed in future updates. I had contacted Tesla and set up an appointment. Here was their response:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 9.22.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 9.22.12 AM.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: Bluejuice
Thanks asterothe. I probably should have noted previously, I am using FSD Beta v11.4.7.2 and currently have version 2023.27.6. If and when I get the next update let's hope it brings back my intermittent wipers.
I was using FSDb and that was broken. After FSD got transferred and I got this update it's gone. This fix needs to be merged, and be available in the next FSDb update.

The intermittent wipers on my Model X (2017) also stopped working some time since the last couple of months, and is still nonfunctional in the update pushed last night. This appears to be a defect in FSD beta. Auto wipers toggle makes no difference.

As nonfunctional wipers are a safety hazard, and this has already obviously been broken for more than a month (which is about three weeks longer than reasonable for such a serious bug), I filed a NHTSA complaint.

Tesla needs to hire an actual QA testing team. A bug this serious should never have made it into a build that was distributed widely, much less still remain unfixed in subsequent builds. Anything that diminishes people's ability to drive the car in non-AP mode should be considered a showstopper, and they should absolutely stop everything until they fix it. This is NOT okay.

Reactions: jlv1 and TonikQL
I have the same problem, originally I thought it is because I have FSDb installed (not active) or checked the wiper beta button, but after disabled everything it still doesn't work. It is now working like car in the 70s, you have to manually turning it on and off if you find it annoying in drizzle/misty situation.

Reactions: dgatwood and SO16