Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interstellar - The Movie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And this ties closely in to the movie's interpretation of Murphy's law - not that "whatever can go wrong will go wrong" but rather "what ever can happen will happen" with the logical AND physically correct interpretation being that: if something happens then the moment later it obviously has happened and the moment before it was obviosly bound to happen, and therefore even if you could bend time or even go back in time, it would still happen since it was both bound to happen, took place in that moment of time and afterwards had happened. All in Closed time loop.

There is a great examination of time travel written by Larry Niven called "The Theory and Practice of Time Travel." He also had a good companion piece called the "The Theory an Practice of Teleportation." Both are looking at the fun science fiction ideas with a hard science outlook.

The book that both are collected in is called "All the Myriad Ways."

I wonder if Elon has or is going to see it since he is involved in trying to get us to travel in space......since we have a private company doing it today instead of NASA, i wonder if he would agree with the plot or not....

Finally saw it. I recommend seeing it in 70MM or 4K since it's a visual feast.
Don't worry about the sound since 90% of the dialogue is either unintelligible or ridiculous.
I like many of Nolan's films (Memento & Inception come to mind) and think he's a highly skilled director who can put difficult stories to film (mostly his own).
But jeez, what a waste of those actors. You could tell none of them "believed in" what their characters were spewing.
Hathaway and Mcconaughey had zero chemistry. The saving grace was Cooper's relationship with his daughter and even that got weird at the end. I am fine with the plot holes and required suspension of disbelief. I just wish he would have hired a good screenwriter.
Sometimes directors shouldn't write every word of what they direct; e.g., James Cameron-Avatar. George Lucas used Lawrence Kasdan for his best work (Empire Strikes Back and Raiders); Lucas wrote Star Wars-1, Phantom Menace... I rest my case.

I saw the movie the other day. I liked it in a 2001: A Space Odyssey way. You can tell that Nolan was inspired by 2001 and told the story in a similar fashion.

Spoilers: The science is way off and that was distracting. The article with the list of problems with the movie missed a whole lot of the science issues. The one that was screaming at me was the planets parked near a massive black hole. What about the high energy radiation coming off that thing? How could they be surprised by the giant wave when they are parked in orbit around the planet and having to deal with the gravitation themselves? Fuel, air, and food was another major issue that was tossed aside for storytelling.

My favorite moment was seeing the O'Neil colony near Saturn. Having it parked there doesn't make the best sense but to see one visualized was just plain cool.

I saw the movie the other day. I liked it in a 2001: A Space Odyssey way. You can tell that Nolan was inspired by 2001 and told the story in a similar fashion.

Spoilers: The science is way off and that was distracting. The article with the list of problems with the movie missed a whole lot of the science issues. The one that was screaming at me was the planets parked near a massive black hole. What about the high energy radiation coming off that thing? How could they be surprised by the giant wave when they are parked in orbit around the planet and having to deal with the gravitation themselves? Fuel, air, and food was another major issue that was tossed aside for storytelling.

My favorite moment was seeing the O'Neil colony near Saturn. Having it parked there doesn't make the best sense but to see one visualized was just plain cool.

Check out this for the science part:

I was just watching the extras on the Interstellar bluray and there was a segment on the science that the movie is based around and there is a small part where they talk about SpaceX and Elon is interviewed. Pretty cool!

I found it on youtube:

The whole segment is interesting, but SpaceX/Elon part is around 35:30

Last edited by a moderator: