Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YouTube Movies No Longer Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Movies Anywhere linked to my YouTube account with close to 400 movies. This allows my kids to watch anything in our library on the back screen while we're driving.

Recently, I'm getting an error that says:

This content can't be played on your mobile browser. Get the YouTube app to start watching.

The issue is obvious given that Tesla just uses YouTube's mobile interface for it's YouTube "app". To be clear, this only applies to movies in YouTube. Regular videos work fine.

I'm wondering:
  1. Has someone that uses YouTube for movies seen this before with watching movies on the Tesla?
  2. Since this doesn't sound like a Tesla problem, does anyone recommend any recourse for me, whether that is trying to resolve the issue or simply another way to watch my library?

Thanks in advance.

This has been happening to me as well and it's extremely annoying. I love watching the movies in the car and I also use MoviesAnywhere. But I feel like it's just a YouTube thing, not MoviesAnywhere because I rented a movie straight from YouTube and it still didn't work.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I’m going to try reaching out to YouTube.

My guess is that they’re pushing people on mobile devices towards their app and away from browsers (probably for easier ad tracking), and Tesla’s YouTube player inadvertently got caught in the exchange.

Similar problem here. rented a movie from Youtube, got same error message you're showing. Guess I'm not the only one who likes to watch movies in my car ... been wondering that. I don't use "movies anywhere", so I think it's a Google-issue; Jumping on the "get-the-app"-bandwagon.