Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory P100D software limited to 48-amp AC charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
I am considering purchasing an inventory P100D that was built in mid- to late-2018 (based on an estimation of the last 6 digits of its VIN), and from the data provided by ev-cpo.com, this specific car has the CH04 option, described as "High-amperage charger upgrade".

So this should technically mean that it can charge at 72A from an AC source that supports at least that much, such as the HPWC that I installed in my garage on a 100A breaker (my P85D charged from it at 80A thanks to its dual-charger option).

However, when I spoke to an "Inside Sales Advisor" about it this morning, he mentioned that it would actually be software-limited to 48A to "preserve the battery and ensure its longevity". My BS-o-meter went through the roof when I heard that...

Has anyone heard of this before?

Reactions: boaterva
Huh... if it says 'high amperage' charger, it has the 72 Amp charger. I believe at that time, all 100 pack cars were the only ones getting that. Now, it's gone, but then that was the model (100) that got it. And, I've never heard of a software limited charger/battery (edited to clarify this), and I know mine charges at 72, since I have an 80 Amp HPWC.

Anyone else want to also say BS to the Sales Advisor? :D Never heard of any 'software' limited chargers, ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
Yeah. Something doesn't seem right with that statement. Whenever I'm pulling 72 Amps @ 200 VAC, my miles/hour charge is about 42 mi/hr.
Plenty slow/safe enough charge. Besides, the battery charging infrastructure only sees the resultant DC output from the twin chargers.

Reactions: boaterva