Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory price versus ordering price? Also other questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have finally decided on exactly how I want my new Model Y to come. I want a White exterior, black interior, performance Y.

When I go to do an order it comes out to $54,130. But when I check inventory the same car is $52,490. But the inventory car has 50 miles on it and I would like one that was still wrapped and did not have 50 miles on it. Yes ridiculous but how I am.

So I went up to where they store the cars to be sold. I found 14 that were exactly how I wanted and only one had been unwrapped which I assume is the 50 mile one.

What is confusing me is the cost. Was there a price increase at some point and if the car was built before a certain date would be cheaper? Really my question is why are inventory cars, that are NOT marked down, start with a price lower than one you order?

My plan is to write down the VIN of the one that looks best to me and take it to the Tesla dealer in my town and see if they will let me buy one of the ones that does not have 50 miles on it for $52,490.

Does this sound feasible?

I have finally decided on exactly how I want my new Model Y to come. I want a White exterior, black interior, performance Y.

When I go to do an order it comes out to $54,130. But when I check inventory the same car is $52,490. But the inventory car has 50 miles on it and I would like one that was still wrapped and did not have 50 miles on it. Yes ridiculous but how I am.

So I went up to where they store the cars to be sold. I found 14 that were exactly how I wanted and only one had been unwrapped which I assume is the 50 mile one.

What is confusing me is the cost. Was there a price increase at some point and if the car was built before a certain date would be cheaper? Really my question is why are inventory cars, that are NOT marked down, start with a price lower than one you order?

My plan is to write down the VIN of the one that looks best to me and take it to the Tesla dealer in my town and see if they will let me buy one of the ones that does not have 50 miles on it for $52,490.

I had a few more questions and did not realize you can't edit comments here. Or at least I could not figure out how to.

- What should I look for with the 14 cars to choose from? Is there certain spots I should look for a gap? Looking at them where the gap seems to be the biggest difference is where the back door hits the car. In some cases it almost looks like the door is open as it is not flush.

I feel like them having so many is an opportunity. What criteria should I use between the cars available to choose the best one?

- I am buying the FSD. Will it come with the latest version or do I need to do something to get? If it does not come with latest FSD then how long does it usually take to get?

I really would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!!

Difference between $54,130 & $52490 is $250 own payment and $1,390 destination fees added. All Tesla orders from Tesla incur these charges.

I had a few more questions and did not realize you can't edit comments here. Or at least I could not figure out how to.

- What should I look for with the 14 cars to choose from? Is there certain spots I should look for a gap? Looking at them where the gap seems to be the biggest difference is where the back door hits the car. In some cases it almost looks like the door is open as it is not flush.

I feel like them having so many is an opportunity. What criteria should I use between the cars available to choose the best one?

- I am buying the FSD. Will it come with the latest version or do I need to do something to get? If it does not come with latest FSD then how long does it usually take to get?

I really would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!!
All speculation here on my part but I believe panel gaps is more than likely overblown and has mostly been corrected as these years have progressed. I would think you have currently received all updates including FSD from the factory and the car will be enabled for full FSD already.

That must be a huge volume Tesla location in your area! There are 3 locations in MA area but even combining all of their inventory would not have anything close to that number of the same config.

Assuming we are talking 2024 models and current date there should be zero difference in cost between ordering new vs. buying an Inventory Car*
*some of the inventory cars are Demo Cars and those may have a small discount. The discounts I currently am seeing on Demo cars are very unimpressive so would not be tempted at all on those.
50 miles is probably not be a demo and would not be a figure that scares me off. Actually may not really be 50. Telsa usually lists 15 for even the factory custom builds never zero. Since you have multiple car possible Vins to choose from it sounds like I would request one with 15 or less miles ; not sure that is possible but I would request it.

The cost difference you are seeing is your custom build is adding in the $1390 destination fee and the $250 order fee BUT you would pay those as well on an Inventory car so add those 2 fees in and the costs are the same for you. You can never get the destination fee waived ; custom order or on the lot the costs are the same*
*At certain times like very end of quarter there can be certain discounts or incentives for taking immediate delivery of an inventory car vs. ordering one but that does not apply today.

As far as which one of the 14 ; I am really not that picky and from what I understand QC on panels and the like has really improved over the last few years. I don't believe there is any specific thing to be especially mindful of. If it looks out of place it is likely one to avoid. Check for paint chips, panel gaps, visible damage of any kind and just anything that looks like an imperfection.
Some other minor differences would be the tires on the car, some may have Michelin Sport all seasons, others may have the Hankook EVO Sport all seasons. You may want to research the 2 tires and see which you prefer. Those are the 2 options for 2024 MYP's in MA ; could be different in your area, I am not sure if some states deliver MYP's with summer tires?

I believe but not 100% certain that the car warranty is based on the build date so an inventory car might have a couple months less warranty, if you don't drive many miles you may want to request the newest one they have. I drive lots of miles so would not be a concern for me as I will always hit the mileage numbers 48K/120K before the years/months matter.

Last edited:
FSD should be installed when you get the car, the latest software may not be but you should be able to download and install it within a few days if you have it parked where you have a wifi signal.
Telsa updates it's software quite often and many times you get nice free improvements. I added a wifi extender plug in my garage as otherwise my wifi signal is weak. Something you can check now before taking delivery.

Unless the car is specifically marked as a demo vehicle there is NO difference between an inventory car and a custom order.

50 miles is a typical placeholder value, it does not mean the car actually has 50 miles on it.

No difference in warranty start date (again, for vehicles NOT marked as demo cars).