Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory X wrecked before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I was suppose to take delivery of a model X P100D Sat/Sunday (end of quarter). I've been getting a little suspicious when the delivery time, then date pushed back but whatever, schedules change. Then I can't get in touch with anyone on Monday. No returned calls, text, emails checking to see when the new delivery time will be (yes, I get no deliveries on Monday). I finally get a call today to schedule my delivery for tomorrow. Great, finally getting my Tesla. Then I get a call tonight that apparently the back end has some significant damage. I'm waiting on pics and will go see the car tomorrow. They don't know if it was shipped that way or if it was damaged in transport. Really? No one documented the condition of the car before shipping it from Dallas to LA?!? I'm clearly getting jerked around at this point. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to proceed. I'm beyond pissed but it mostly due to the lack of integrity that is being displayed. Thanks in advance!
N8

I've purchased 2 inventory cars, one of which was shipped from far away. I know you are pissed, but you are trying to get a car with probably a crazy discount. Tesla inventory car sales process is disorganized to the say the least, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Take a breath, wait for pictures and make a decision. You can always refuse delivery. You can try to negotiate more $$$ off. They will probably offer to fix the damage, but it could be a long time depending on the damage. This is why I wanted my second inventory car to be LOCAL, so I could SEE IT before making a purchase. Good luck.

Damage wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. Looks like they backed it into something. Lift gate and bumper have slight damage. Annoying but they assured me that they would fix the damage. You are correct, they are a hot mess. No one follows through on anything.

Yes the lift gate on the X is very tricky. I had my X for about 3 months before I had trouble with mine. Mine was due to parking on a slight hill left to right. After the 3rd month of having it. The liftgate would not close unless I forced it down. After a couple of weeks of that it would not close at all. I took it to Tesla and they replaced it. It took them 2 weeks but it was replaced. The next day I opened the liftgate and shut it but it would not latch. I took it back and this time they replaced both shocks and it took them a month to do it. Luckly they gave me a loaner for the whole time it was in the shop. I have not had a problem since. So my advice to you is to make sure they replace both shocks not just one even if they say they dont need to be replaced. Ask for a discount or ask for EAP and FSD if you havent purchased it yet and an annual cheeck along with the body work done. As long as the frame hasnt been bent also make sure they dont put it in car fax as an accident. If so I would not take delivery of it.