Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS17 compatibility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone updated to the new iOS? I am currently holding off because I don't want to run into compatibility issues with the Tesla app or car interface.

The rule in my household for OS updates for our various devices, is that we dont ever do new main version updates as soon as they are available. "by Main version" I mean either something like iOS 16.X to 17. For "new" version updates, we wait until there is at least the first "update after the update", meaning we wont do iOS 17 until its at least 17.X (or 17.XX, like 17.01).

We wait at least 2 weeks after the release of any new OS version (this includes windows, mac etc) before we update, and during that time I just "keep my ears open" for reports of issues (of which there are ALWAYS some, its just whether they impact something I use or not).

Conversely, when OS versions go from .X to .Y (like 16.2 to 16.3), We do those right away, as they are generally security updates.

As OS's get more and more complicated, unless you love being the canary for everyone else, its usually less headache to wait to update major OS versions for a bit, at least a couple weeks, unless you have no choice (like purchasing a new device that only comes with the new version).

TL ; DR ... its usually a good idea to do what you are doing, which is hold off for major OS releases, for at least a couple of weeks.

I say this as someone who works in IT and has specifically supported "devices" for most of my working carrer, and I am in my late 50s.

I realized I said "a bunch of words" without really answering the question, lol. Thanks @TypeX for answering the question.

All I was trying to say is, I tend to wait a couple weeks or so, to let others be the canary users. Issues over time, and having to support users who jump on the latest updates then have something not work, has taught me to wait.

Reactions: OxBrew and TypeX
Has anyone updated to the new iOS? I am currently holding off because I don't want to run into compatibility issues with the Tesla app or car interface.
Sounds like I was one of the few who has some initial (albeit temporary) issues. My iPhone 12Pro after moving to iOS17 (the day before) I noticed disconnected itself as a key. I reconnected it in the app but then going out to the car (24 hours after upgrade) the doors wouldn't open. The car seemed to wake up inside exiting Sentry mode but the doors wouldn't open. I took out the credit card key and used it to open the car. I restarted by phone and the app as I sat there, and when my 12 Pro started back up the music began to play in the car off my bluetooth so I assumed it was connected, not quite. Car told me I there was no key present and to use a card. I did and the car started. In the Telsa app I wen again and noticed a Server error 500 and then later a Server error 540 but I with the credit card key I was able to to drive. By the time I got to my destination it seemed to have worked itself all out and the ph0one and app have been working as normal and used it to lock the car. Just a little weird.