Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPad Mini vs Center Console Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
71fF17H+28L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have one of this for my iPad Pro 12.9 but I only use this when I go on Road trips.

Reactions: SWIPE
Upvote 0
What will the iPad be for if its not integrated to the Tesla?
for me, i wanted to have a display right in front of me that would show speed and maps that show traffic (for free).

i’m still getting used to the tesla system, cause i’m less than a week in - so not having any information directly in front of me is still strange. and i also know in a couple months, when my free trial runs out, i won’t be able to see traffic.

Upvote 0
I've had one of the Center Console displays for about a year now and to date I've never touched the screen. I use it exclusively so I can see car speed and state of charge without having to look to the Tesla display. I find the center console display invaluable (and safer than a Y would be without it), though it would not replace an iPad if you want to see ABRP 'live'.

In addition, the Center Console display is not an easy installation, while the iPad is a two minute install.

Upvote 0
I use A Better Route Planner on long Road Trips. Or when I'm parked charging I play Xbox games remotely.

I do have an instrument cluster display that I run google maps on also for the turn by turn directions and traffic info. This was invaluable when the Tesla navigation wanted me to turn around and go back to the Supercharger I had just left and charge for another 10 min... it would NOT just route me to the next supercharger on my list... it was infuriating! But I just followed the google maps and ignored the Tesla navigation and arrived with 12% SOC (it predicted I wouldn't make it at all)... finally after I was half way to the next supercharger it stopped trying to route me back to the previous one and admitted that I would make it with power to spare.

After that I decided to check out ABRP on the Tesla browser. I just logged in to ABRP when driving, seemed to work fine if a bit laggy when trying to input my start and end points.

One of the things I don't like is that if you drive to maximize your charging curve, the weather better be hot because the car will not do battery pre-conditioning if your projected arrival SOC is low.... seems like anything below 20% it will not do pre-conditioning.

Keith

Upvote 0