Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone app stuck at "last seen x hours / days ago"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once every 2 or 3 month, my phone app won't connect to car, and it shows "last seen x hours / days ago". Normally, if the car is sleeping, this message displays for about 10 seconds until the app wakes up the car, and everything is back to normal. Phone key still works and podcasts still works over blutooth. Other things such as live view of sentry mode camera or climate control don't work. When this issue happens, both of my phones will have the same issue, and a reinstall of the app generally fixes it. Any ideas on why this keeps happening?

Try rebooting the car when that happens or just keep trying. For some reason the car isn’t connecting to the internet to be able to communicate with the app. Could be congestion issues with the cell network or just some bug that causes the car to not be able to connect.

Usually it comes back for me after like 15 min of closing and reopening the app.

Reactions: Pianewman
Try rebooting the car when that happens or just keep trying. For some reason the car isn’t connecting to the internet to be able to communicate with the app. Could be congestion issues with the cell network or just some bug that causes the car to not be able to connect.

Usually it comes back for me after like 15 min of closing and reopening the app.
This... whenever this happens to me, it's a glitch that gets fixed with a reboot OR the car is really in a spot with almost no LTE service so it can't communicate with the Tesla servers.

The reason why your bluetooth stuff works is because its not relying on the LTE/Wifi connection like Sentry and remote camera view do.

Since both of my phones fail to connect when the issue occurs, yes it does suggest the car is causing the problem. However, car is still able to check for software updates and real traffic is still showing on NAV. Doesn't that mean the car has internet access? By the way, I have waited for days in the past, and it didn't help. Only app reinstall on phones seem to resolve the issue. It is doesn't appear to be a cell coverage issue either, since other Teslas nearby are all OK, and the car does go to many different places over those days. Thanks

I'm willing to bet that the car just does not have access to internet even if you are checking for software updates. It's possible that it says it last checked for updates just now but maybe it did not even connect. As far as traffic, my map seems to always show stale traffic data, as in morning rush hour red lines in the middle of the day when there is no longer traffic, etc.

When this happens, is the car connected to Wifi or LTE? I'd start there. It could be a Wifi problem because I know while at home, in Park, my car defaults to Wifi only. It's not until I put the car in gear that it switches from Wifi to LTE.

Reactions: Pianewman
Thanks. I never restarted my car since reinstalling the APP on phones always resolved the issue in the past. I will try restarting it today for the very first time, using the steering wheel scroll wheel.

I've been having this trouble for the last several days, at least. My app won't wake up the car.....when charging starts, my app connects (I'm said to say I was up a 3am to discover this), but otherwise the circle keeps spinning and I can't connect. I've tried turning my iPhone on and off, and that didn't make a difference. It still acts as a phone key, but I can't otherwise use the app to give the car directions (such as precondition time). Maybe I'll try rebooting the car.

When my iPhone fails to connect, I ask my wife on her Samsung APP. She's always been okay.
Once time, my problem was I needed to update the Tesla app.
I just had the problem again. I tried to delete and reinstall the app. This failed to connect when I tried to sign back in! I finally figured out that it was likely my Sufshark VPN that I was trying again. I turned it off and life is good again. Silly me!