Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IPhone Hotspot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyway to drive connected to the iPhone's personal hotspot? I can connect to It when I'm parked but then it shuts it off and goes to the LTE connection when I start to drive.
If you want it on while driving, you have follow the steps below.
  1. Make sure your Personal Hotspot is enabled on the iPhone (Settings > Personal Hotspot > Allow Others to Join should be green)
  2. Put the car in drive (or reverse) but don't move - Hold usually does the trick. DO NOT DO THIS WHILE DRIVING
  3. Tap the LTE bars at the top of the Tesla screen. Select WiFi Settings
  4. Tap to turn on WiFi. It will ask for your WiFi info on this screen, but I have found it easier to just close the window.
  5. Tap the same place on the screen as step 3 - it should be a WiFi symbol, but it may be the LTE bars for a few seconds.
  6. Select your phone from the menu. It will ask for the WiFi password the first time (and sometimes on subsequent attempts)
Since I can't get a WiFi signal to my garage, this is what I do every time there is an update.

If you want it on while driving, you have follow the steps below.
  1. Make sure your Personal Hotspot is enabled on the iPhone (Settings > Personal Hotspot > Allow Others to Join should be green)
  2. Put the car in drive (or reverse) but don't move - Hold usually does the trick. DO NOT DO THIS WHILE DRIVING
  4. Tap to turn on WiFi. It will ask for your WiFi info on this screen, but I have found it easier to just close the window.
  5. Tap the same place on the screen as step 3 - it should be a WiFi symbol, but it may be the LTE bars for a few seconds.
  6. Select your phone from the menu. It will ask for the WiFi password the first time (and sometimes on subsequent attempts)
Since I can't get a WiFi signal to my garage, this is what I do every time there is an update.

When you do this for updates, do you have to sit in your car the whole time while it's in HOLD mode?

When you do this for updates, do you have to sit in your car the whole time while it's in HOLD mode?
Once you've connected your car to the WiFi hotspot, you can now drive and the DL happens while you're driving. I will remember to communicate that detail better in the future!

I have a 25-40 minute commute and most of the downloads happen in that time (and then I trigger the installation when I arrive). But if you get to your destination and the DL is not complete, it is okay to interrupt the DL and get out of your car (you don't have to do anything to pause the DL - just get out of your car and lock it normally). You will just have to reconnect the hotspot the next time you get in your car and it will (should) automatically pick up where it left off. I don't recommend making a lot if interruptions of the DL if you can, but I have done DLs in 3-4 sessions (but I really try to avoid that!).

II have very weak WiFi connection. I'm trying to use my Personal Hotspot on my iPhone to perform a software update. I'm following the 6-step process outlined in this thread, but, when I get to step 6 my phone does not appear on the menu. Any ideas on how to solve this? (My phone does work as the key to my car.)

II have very weak WiFi connection. I'm trying to use my Personal Hotspot on my iPhone to perform a software update. I'm following the 6-step process outlined in this thread, but, when I get to step 6 my phone does not appear on the menu. Any ideas on how to solve this? (My phone does work as the key to my car.)
I don't know if this happens to everyone or if I am doing something wrong, but I have found more consistent luck starting with Personal Hotspot OFF and then turning it on after Step 4 (I am on an iPhone 12). So the modified instructions that work for me are:
  1. Make sure your Personal Hotspot is DISabled on the iPhone (Settings > Personal Hotspot > Allow Others to Join should NOT be green)
  5. Turn ON Personal Hotspot on the iPhone (Settings > Personal Hotspot > Allow Others to Join should be green)
  6. Tap the same place on the screen as step 3 - it should be a WiFi symbol, but it may be the LTE bars for a few seconds.
  7. Select your phone from the menu (after the first time you do this, it should auto-select on subsequent attempts). It will ask for the WiFi password the first time (and sometimes on subsequent attempts).
  8. Once connected, go on your drive