Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iphone will not unlock car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had an issue with their Iphone not connecting to the car ? 90% of the time I ha e to pull my phone out and with the app already open and wait a minute or so.
Then once I get the car open it takes 4-5 attempts to get it in to “D”.
I’ve had it into service 3 times for this issue. Every time I pick it up they tell me it is repaired . I was told they had to update the firmware on one occasion... another time they had to replace a part (Sensor) That being said... I love my Tesla and just want this fixed... I also emailed Tesla... they gave me instructions for a reset... which I did way back when this problem started. It did not resolve the issue. Hoping someone might have some suggestions....

Try with another phone just to rule your phone out as a potential culprit.

In general, I've found that the iPhone works more than 95% of the time, but not 100%. Every now and then it takes a moment longer than I expect. If its not working 90% of the time, its a good indication that they have not have corrected the issue. It helps to demonstrate the issue to the service center - with such a high failure rate, make sure you don't leave before it is solved.

Thank you.
I tried other phones. Same thing. I actually gave the service techs exact dates and times. It was pouring the last two times I got the car back so I hopped in and assumed it was all good. My mistake.. I just scheduled another appointment to take it in. Seems there quality of service has dropped off in the last year. I still love my Tessie though.

Another thing, if you force close your apps a lot, I find it doesn't work if the app isn't running in the background. So after reboots and if you're like me and routinely force close all your apps because you think it'll make your phone faster, then retrain yourself to fire up the Tesla app manually after. Outside of that, my phone thing works 100% of the time without fail.

Thank you.
I tried other phones. Same thing. I actually gave the service techs exact dates and times. It was pouring the last two times I got the car back so I hopped in and assumed it was all good. My mistake.. I just scheduled another appointment to take it in. Seems there quality of service has dropped off in the last year. I still love my Tessie though.

This kind of thing can happen; a friend recently had his window adjusted, and the tech forgot to plug in the window rocker switch before he concluded his work. He didn't realize until later, and had to schedule a follow-up appointment. Luck of the draw I guess!

Another thing, if you force close your apps a lot, I find it doesn't work if the app isn't running in the background. So after reboots and if you're like me and routinely force close all your apps because you think it'll make your phone faster, then retrain yourself to fire up the Tesla app manually after. Outside of that, my phone thing works 100% of the time without fail.

There should be no need to have the Tesla App running at all. It is not a requirement when using the phone as a key. What Apps are running (if any) also is of no consequence. What is important is that bluetooth is enabled, and operational on your phone when you walk up to your car. Even if you do not force close the Tesla App on your phone, IOS will not allow it to continue running after a few minutes. If you swipe back into it, the phone will display an image of the App running while it relaunches - its a bit of visual trickery.

Reactions: Big Earl
Has anyone had an issue with their Iphone not connecting to the car ? 90% of the time I ha e to pull my phone out and with the app already open and wait a minute or so.
Then once I get the car open it takes 4-5 attempts to get it in to “D”.
I’ve had it into service 3 times for this issue. Every time I pick it up they tell me it is repaired . I was told they had to update the firmware on one occasion... another time they had to replace a part (Sensor) That being said... I love my Tesla and just want this fixed... I also emailed Tesla... they gave me instructions for a reset... which I did way back when this problem started. It did not resolve the issue. Hoping someone might have some suggestions....

I have this issue every day with my mid range M3. I use a Samsung galaxy note 8 and I thought It was the phone so I bought a new one and the same issue persists. I have taken it to the SC 4 times and once they said the software update fixed it, (it did not). The other times they said they did general Diagnostics and found everything in working order. Literally that same night I had the same issue. I was also told not to force close the app and I have not since the last SC appointment (5/24/2019), but the issue still continues.

I was told to start keeping a log of the issues and do a "bug report". I have to turn airplane mode off and on multiple times per day so I can get in and drive my car. Very frustrating.

I have issues with spotify and audible not playing daily as well. I keep having to turn Bluetooth on from the tesla as well as my phone daily.

I was told the exact opposite at my SC in Rocklin CA. They told me the newer phones have been the ones reporting this issue the most.
That goes in line with my experience... my iPhone 7 Plus worked almost every time, including in my pocket... on my new iPhone XS Max it only works when upright in my hand... I think it has something to do with the proximity features of the phone and waking the screen

There should be no need to have the Tesla App running at all. It is not a requirement when using the phone as a key. What Apps are running (if any) also is of no consequence. What is important is that bluetooth is enabled, and operational on your phone when you walk up to your car. Even if you do not force close the Tesla App on your phone, IOS will not allow it to continue running after a few minutes. If you swipe back into it, the phone will display an image of the App running while it relaunches - its a bit of visual trickery.

This has not been my experience. I agree with apps sleeping, but for me if i force close the app, when I come to my car, it simply will not unlock until I open the app. On the contrary, if I don’t force close it and go to the airport and don’t use the apps for days, when I get to my car, it unlocks without issue. I do have Background refresh on, I may try playing with that, but I do not see where my app does the full red logo restart after sleeping for a while.

I’ll play with it more, but that’s been my experience.

This has happened sporadically, but usually in clusters of events. Last month would happen 3 or 4 times in a row, then not at all. And it’s not happened at all in the last two weeks.

iPhone 6s plus. Series 4 Apple watch. Bluetooth can be squirrelly, sometimes connecting to my 135i sometimes not. Never fails to connect to my Model 3. Seems like the phone is conflicted. Also, I run either Tunnel Bear or OpenVPN, and have wondered if the phone hiccups when switching from wifi to LTE. It won’t send data until it establishes a connection to the VPN, and sometimes will stall

Oh! Gddm Bruins! @#$&

Where was I?
Um, my phone seems to get stuck in no mans land when it can’t successfully transition from LTE to wifi or vice versa and there is no data transmission. I’ve wondered if it could have something to do with that. Or could Stats and the Tesla app be having a pissing match?

I have an iPhone 8+. Never had an issue with opening the door or operating when inside. My phone stays in my pocket, I walk up and open the door, no matter where I am. I do a force close on apps, daily, to include the Tesla app. Doesn't affect my ability either. I did read, well over a year ago, of Android users having difficulties. iPhone, not so much. Still, Tesla should be attempting to make the phone key experience, regardless of "type", as smooth as possible. The card keys I have have given me fits and I refuse to use them, unless with valet, detailer, my wife, if she gets to the car at work before I do (she refuses to drive the car AND doesn't want the phone key, so....) For what it's worth.........

What iPhone do you have? What iOS are you running? I have 2 iPhones, X and Xs max, and 100% works, in my pocket. You should try using someone else's iPhone to test. Then, you can isolate if it's your iPhone or the car.