Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a CHAdeMO adapter worthwhile for the PNW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
I'm trying to decide whether to get a CHAdeMO adapter when my car is delivered next month. I see the Aerovironment network looks like a good deal if you need this service often. But there are quite good L2 systems growing all the time.

I ordered a 60D without the extra charging capability. I'm retired, so we are really usually not in a big hurry, but we do like to wander around starting from the Seattle area, and plan to do more with the new car. However, the Supercharger network is growing all the time (101 will be great).

I'm leaning toward getting one, but was wondering about other's experiences. Also, do they usually stock the adapter in the stores? Service centers? Do they have them in Portland? (tax-free road trip!)

I've only used chademo charging once in 2 years of ownership, and that was at a Nissan dealership in Vancouver WA.

Given the growth of supercharging and destination charging, I would lean towards no. Just borrow one from a friend as needed.

The need for the chademo adaptor is getting less and less as the Supercharger network expands. It still increases charging flexibility even though you'll probably be able to take road trips without one.

I've owned a CHAdeMO adapter since they first shipped,and have used it 6 or 7 times, and my friends have borrowed it and used it 2 or 3 times. My usage has almost all been in Oregon and Washington on road trips.

I suggest you go to www.chademo.com and click on the US map, then zoom in and scroll around. This will give you a fairly complete idea of where CHAdeMO is currently deployed. Many are at Nissan dealerships. Note that not all Nissan dealerships welcome Teslas!

Have found in general that CHAdeMO is often not in the places where you really need it! And likewise the Superchargers, though growing, still have a huge number of gaps. Whether those gaps are important to you depends entirely on where you wish to go.

Also keep in mind that there is usually a cost associated with using CHAdeMO. I have found the Aerovironment network in the PNW to be economical and reliable in my travels.

I have spent a few nights in RV parks getting a charge - as well as stops of 2-4 hours in the daytime - when CHAdeMO and Superchargers were not available.

I also purchased the dual charger option when I got my car and have made use of its capacity perhaps 5 or 6 times in the nearly 3 years I've owned my S. My logic was not that I was in a hurry, but the guy waiting behind me for the scarce charging resource would appreciate it if I were able to leave sooner so he could access it!

Thanks. We'll go without and see how we do.
if you do end up picking up one later, there is the WA sales tax exemption (for now at least) that covers charging infrastructure, battery upgrades, etc that I believe the adaptor would fall under, if purchased separately from the car. So could get it tax free in Seattle, unless you wanted to drive down to Ptld ;)

ETA - here's a link to the sales tax exemption form (check box 2B).

When I decided to buy the MS, I decided that I wanted the owner experience to be pleasant. A part of that was investing in things that made charging and long-distance driving less onerous. In that spirit, I installed an HPWC in our garage and bought the CHAdeMo adapter. In one year, I have used the adapter five times - three times when I was very, very glad that I had that option.
My previous most expensive car was the Prius - at 23K, a 25% premium I was willing to pay for a hybrid.
The .045x price of my new toy seems like a pittance for convenience for fast charging, especially along the coast and around Seattle - admittedly less relevant now with Seaside, Lincoln City and, hopefully-soon-enough-Bandon SCs.
YMMW.:)

if you do end up picking up one later, there is the WA sales tax exemption (for now at least) that covers charging infrastructure, battery upgrades, etc that I believe the adaptor would fall under, if purchased separately from the car. So could get it tax free in Seattle, unless you wanted to drive down to Ptld ;)

ETA - here's a link to the sales tax exemption form (check box 2B).

Thanks for that. Let's see -- do paperwork or drive my new Tesla -- I'll get back to you on that one...

• Funny
Reactions: melindav
Like you, I have a 60 (classic that truly is only 60kWh) and got the adaptor just as it was released. I've used it about a dozen times. With the Supercharger network now going along the 101, I probably won't need it when going to the beach anymore. However, there is one thing you should be aware of with a 60. I go from Portland to Seattle a lot and just spend the day there. My 60 can't make it from the Supercharger in Centralia up to Seattle and back to Centralia on a single charge! In the past when I stayed overnight, I was able to plug the car in and be fine. Day trips I couldn't use the Tesla as I didn't want to park for 1-2 hours at a J1772 station on the way back in order to reach Centralia. With the adaptor, I now stop in Fife and charge for 5-10 minutes on a Blink CHAdeMO and that gives me more then enough buffer to make it back to Centralia.

So if you are from Seattle and want to visit Portland, you'll run into the same issue unless you plan to park for 1-2 hours at a J1772. It's odd to have to use a CHAdeMO on a freeway between Supercharges, but it's what us 60 owners have to do until Tesla starts making those gaps a little bit smaller. Fortunately this only applies when going to a location between Superchargers and back, not traveling between Superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Like you, I have a 60 (classic that truly is only 60kWh) and got the adaptor just as it was released. I've used it about a dozen times. With the Supercharger network now going along the 101, I probably won't need it when going to the beach anymore. However, there is one thing you should be aware of with a 60. I go from Portland to Seattle a lot and just spend the day there. My 60 can't make it from the Supercharger in Centralia up to Seattle and back to Centralia on a single charge! In the past when I stayed overnight, I was able to plug the car in and be fine. Day trips I couldn't use the Tesla as I didn't want to park for 1-2 hours at a J1772 station on the way back in order to reach Centralia. With the adaptor, I now stop in Fife and charge for 5-10 minutes on a Blink CHAdeMO and that gives me more then enough buffer to make it back to Centralia.

So if you are from Seattle and want to visit Portland, you'll run into the same issue unless you plan to park for 1-2 hours at a J1772. It's odd to have to use a CHAdeMO on a freeway between Supercharges, but it's what us 60 owners have to do until Tesla starts making those gaps a little bit smaller. Fortunately this only applies when going to a location between Superchargers and back, not traveling between Superchargers.

Thanks! I'll ponder that perspective. We're usually not in a big hurry, but there might be times where this would be important. It certainly would not happen on a regular basis, but I'll look at Plugshare at some scenarios.

We totally recommend the CHAdeMO because when you depart the west coast of Washington you will want to have access to L3 charging that in most areas is only supplied via CHAdeMO. In fact, AVISTA Utilities has announced that they will place between 5 and 7 CHAdeMO and CCS L3 chargers in eastern Washington. Aerovironment has a great system along HIghway 2. So, if you like to travel get the CHAdeMO we use our two too Three times a month. (We live in the Wenatchee area)