Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AEB sufficient, even with standard cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason that every single car manufacturer implements emergency braking to only lessen but not completely avoid accidents is that the car is going is only going to involuntarily take control from the driver when it is absolutely certain there is going to be an accident, not just that it feels it knows better than you what a safe speed is.

Simply not true.

While OP certainly misunderstands the function of AEB, emergency (e.g. Abruptly) being the key word here, as opposed to a gentle stop from TACC, other car manufacturers cars can definatly avoid the collision completly with AEB at certain speeds.

As always, I recomend everyone to check out Euro-NCAP’s reviews and videos were they test AEB as a part of the safety rating. AEB counts toward the rating, so it’s becoming quite common in Europe.

Here’s from the latest test of the Volvo XC60:

«The autonomous emergency braking system scored maximum points when tested at highway speeds, with collisions avoided at all test speeds and in all scenarios.»

Official Volvo XC60 safety rating

The Toyoya Prius also avoids the crash completly.

Official Toyota Prius 2016 safety rating

Had to do some digging to find a car that has AEB and does not avoid the crash in all scenarios:

Official Mazda CX-5 safety rating

The Mazda CX5 only reduces the severity of the crash if following a car at short distance and the car in front brakes harshly.

I know I took the discussion somewhat off OPs topic, but I felt it was neccasery to clear up some misunderstandings regarding how AEB works for othe car brands.

Simply not true.

While OP certainly misunderstands the function of AEB, emergency (e.g. Abruptly) being the key word here, as opposed to a gentle stop from TACC, other car manufacturers cars can definatly avoid the collision completly with AEB at certain speeds.

As always, I recomend everyone to check out Euro-NCAP’s reviews and videos were they test AEB as a part of the safety rating. AEB counts toward the rating, so it’s becoming quite common in Europe.

«The autonomous emergency braking system scored maximum points when tested at highway speeds, with collisions avoided at all test speeds and in all scenarios.»

Had to do some digging to find a car that has AEB and does not avoid the crash in all scenarios:

The Mazda CX5 only reduces the severity of the crash if following a car at short distance and the car in front brakes harshly.

I know I took the discussion somewhat off OPs topic, but I felt it was neccasery to clear up some misunderstandings regarding how AEB works for othe car brands.

Perhaps my previous statement was too absolute, but again you say this is how "other" systems work as if Tesla's system is completely different. There are many people that have reported Teslas stopping completely and avoiding an accident using AEB. Every manufacturer's system completely avoids an accident in some cases and doesn't in others. Since it doesn't always completely stop in time, every manufacturer includes the same type of statement about the system only reducing the severity of accidents.

How did Tesla do in the above test?

Simply not true.

Good stuff.

I doubt any manufacturer will explicitly state that their AEB will avoid collisions. The world is so full of litigious people / lawyers that manufacturers are going to play smart and not claim anything. How would a reduction of collision damage due to AEB be proven false in the court whereas claims of complete avoidance would open lawsuits up left, right and center? Even if the AEB didn't come on, the manual specifically says the AEB isn't a foolproof way to avoid collisions.

From my experience with our Toyota, the AEB has gone off twice (real braking) with I being alert. Those two instances weren't even going to be accidents. In one case, I had my ACC on and shifted to the lane where the vehicle was about 50 feet away and the AEB reacted.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Good stuff.

I doubt any manufacturer will explicitly state that their AEB will avoid collisions. The world is so full of litigious people / lawyers that manufacturers are going to play smart and not claim anything. How would a reduction of collision damage due to AEB be proven false in the court whereas claims of complete avoidance would open lawsuits up left, right and center? Even if the AEB didn't come on, the manual specifically says the AEB isn't a foolproof way to avoid collisions.

From my experience with our Toyota, the AEB has gone off twice (real braking) with I being alert. Those two instances weren't even going to be accidents. In one case, I had my ACC on and shifted to the lane where the vehicle was about 50 feet away and the AEB reacted.

I'm confused by your last statement. If you had ACC on then it's ACC reacting, not AEB (don't confuse AEB with the braking portion of ACC, AEB is about emergency braking when you are controlling the speed manually). ACC is always going to be way more sensitive than AEB, because it's trying to maintain distance from the cars in front of you rather than trying to avoid an accident.

I'm confused by your last statement. If you had ACC on then it's ACC reacting, not AEB (don't confuse AEB with the braking portion of ACC, AEB is about emergency braking when you are controlling the speed manually). ACC is always going to be way more sensitive than AEB, because it's trying to maintain distance from the cars in front of you rather than trying to avoid an accident.

I had ACC but Toyota put a lag in the programming so much so that when someone cuts in front of me my speed will not drop immediately to keep the original distance. So when I shifted into the other lane with only 50 feet, it was more likely that the ACC had not kicked in yet. I can confirm it was AEB because in my instrument cluster there was this red symbol flashing.

ACC and AEB can probably work together so you just can't assume one works and the other is deactivated.

Uses word ‘abrupt’, OP uses word ‘abrupt’. Claims OP misunderstands AEB function.

At least the logic is in keeping with most other responses in this thread....