Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) won't be available on FSD v12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I dislike is that FSDS doesn't default to AP or TACC when disengaged. It sometimes makes inappropriate lane changes and if disengaged in the freeway the result is instant regen braking. The other bad thing is that it sometimes it reads the '55mph while towing' signs as the speed limit and then there's instant braking whilst on the freeway at 80mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnm and fhteagle
When I had FSD I used two profiles so I could switch on the fly from FSD to a non-FSD mode, it worked like a charm!

But as to this change, I have never seen a company so in love with its technology and care so little about its customers. Whomever is running the show over there is an idiot.
I agree! I have never been asked what features I want/use and which are of no value to me. Personally I would love to have access to siris/XM on my model Y and I do not play games.

When i purchased my MY LR 2 months ago it came with Traffic Aware Cruise Control & Lane Centering. As far as I can tell Lane Centering is no longer available - or is it just hidden somewhere? I really would like to turn that back on as I do not consider using FSD safe on my local roads (it would drive off the road if I didn’t take control where as before the FSD trial I didn’t have a problem with the simple feature above.

This is crazy, who owns the car and controls its features after I buy it? I knew that when I bought the car there would be new features and I welcomed that, but I did not anticipate loosing features that my 2018 honda had. I don’t think this is a reasonable compromise.

One other point is that after the first FSD update, I tried it and then turned it off (at least thats my story). However after the latest update it came back on without me knowing, quite a surprise during heavy traffic on an expressway. That’s simply dangerous.

If anyone knows how to get lane Centering back on could you please advise.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhneuerburg
No such option to turn off FSD beta and get lane Centering back.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpeg
    IMG_1095.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 14
This is crazy, who owns the car and controls its features after I buy it?
Ooooh! Oooooh! I know the answer to this one!

Not me.

I'm just sorry I didn't know that before I bought the car.

We hand over cash or take out a loan, insure, license and pay for a place to keep our car. We pay for all maintenance, non-warranty repairs, and charging.

We do not, however, get to keep what we bought with the car. The car is tesla's to change in any way it sees fit, disable anything it can disable (so I ended up saying goodbye to my radar) and forced a new UI at least once a year (my first experience with that was the removal of the ability of the passenger to activate Voice Command. My second was the removal of the defrost icon from main screen forcing multiple taps in order to trigger clear a fogged up windshield).

Software features will change. Our sales rep told us to read the manual before we picked up the car. We did. But that isn't enough, you should reread it on a regular basis. Certain things haven't changed, like you must keep your car updated in order to not void your warranty. Other things have (that same section said that my car would be updated any time I brought it in for service but that has since been removed.)

And the surest way tesla shows it is in charge and we must bend over to be screwed by them? If the car is totaled, the software license for FSD (now $$$$$) does not transfer to a replacement vehicle.

Tesla owns data generated by the drivers, the videos captured by the vehicle and retains the ability to brick it at any time either on purpose or accidentally.

Tesla does not own any of the liability if the software on the car triggers an accident. That's on you. If the car curbs your wheels? You pay.

And we agreed to this when we bought the car.

Yes, buying a tesla is unlike buying any other car. But not necessarily in a good way.

Ooooh! Oooooh! I know the answer to this one!

Not me.

I'm just sorry I didn't know that before I bought the car.

We hand over cash or take out a loan, insure, license and pay for a place to keep our car. We pay for all maintenance, non-warranty repairs, and charging.

We do not, however, get to keep what we bought with the car. The car is tesla's to change in any way it sees fit, disable anything it can disable (so I ended up saying goodbye to my radar) and forced a new UI at least once a year (my first experience with that was the removal of the ability of the passenger to activate Voice Command. My second was the removal of the defrost icon from main screen forcing multiple taps in order to trigger clear a fogged up windshield).

Software features will change. Our sales rep told us to read the manual before we picked up the car. We did. But that isn't enough, you should reread it on a regular basis. Certain things haven't changed, like you must keep your car updated in order to not void your warranty. Other things have (that same section said that my car would be updated any time I brought it in for service but that has since been removed.)

And the surest way tesla shows it is in charge and we must bend over to be screwed by them? If the car is totaled, the software license for FSD (now $$$$$) does not transfer to a replacement vehicle.

Tesla owns data generated by the drivers, the videos captured by the vehicle and retains the ability to brick it at any time either on purpose or accidentally.

Tesla does not own any of the liability if the software on the car triggers an accident. That's on you. If the car curbs your wheels? You pay.

And we agreed to this when we bought the car.

Yes, buying a tesla is unlike buying any other car. But not necessarily in a good way.
By this rationale, don’t update your software and you are good to keep what you paid for. Now if you want anything new you may have to give up something for the new thing.

By this rationale, don’t update your software and you are good to keep what you paid for. Now if you want anything new you may have to give up something for the new thing.
Actually, you don't get what you paid for if you consider warranty service as part of what you paid for.

The car must be kept updated according to tesla in order to keep your warranty valid. It is in the terms of use you agreed to when you accepted the car.

Obviously, this is a double edge sword, many updates have 'broken' hardware in the car (for example, the number of people who ended up with non functioning cabin cameras in December after those updats - was it hardware or software, reports are people were told both by SC staff.)

My car was updated, unsuccessfully, when I took it in for suspension warranty work this past week. I wanted the work done under warranty so I had no choice. Then, since the update they installed didn't show up in my app, the car, or teslafi, they spent over an hour pushing the update to my car (2 attempts) over LTE downloads the following day and after that was installed, sent out the current update as well over LTE. Which at least shows as installed but also shows as requiring to be downloaded so that is something we have to fix today before a short road trip in order to figure out WTF is going on and clear the download prompt from my app.

BTW: tesla didn't indicate downloading an update would disable my radar. That just happened and was noted after the fact by users. Which is why I no longer update before studying the results reported by users. I was naive back when I lost radar. The issue comes when you update for a recall or a feature you want and then lose something that was working for you in the past, like auto wipers. Do you then jump on updates hoping that 'this time will be different' and the wipers will be fixed? The correct answer is NO! Update only you get widespread reports of the wipers finally returning to pre-dry swiping behaviour. Hint: not yet, which is why I went 156 days between updates until I needed warranty work.

When you buy a new car, the version of software included doesn't necessarily allow you to use the features you bought. You must do an update at some point in the following days/weeks in order to get all the features you bought. So avoiding updates forever is not really an option with a tesla.

Try disabling it
I did, no change. Re-engaged, same problem. When the features were first rolled out, TACC would simply act as cruise control that would follow the flow of traffic, but you had to be aware of red lights and stop signs. Later they rolled out red light/stop sign recognition, and it would stop unprompted at "traffic control" points. If the light was green, it would not stop, or even slow down. Now it not only stops at all green lights, it sometime stops for non-existent "traffic control" points. I had it stop just this morning out of the blue in a residential section with nary stop sign/traffic light in sight. It even counted down the distance to the imaginary traffic light.

I assume you guys know, clicking the right, scroll wheel to the left will allow you to easily use the minimize lane change for this drive.
This is good to know. I will try it. I was extremely frustrated when this was first rolled out but have now come to accept losing TACC. I did try disabling FSD but it seemed that it took me back to a TACC version that was years old without traffic light or stop sign awareness. I am almost always using FSD without Tesla Nav as we all know that nothing beats google Nav. I mostly used TACC to prevent myself from speeding, so I am getting used to using FSD for the same purpose. Lane changes are very annoying but I will try Paul's suggestion. I wish there was a mode to use FSD without lane change. It appears that the sudden speed corrections and resetting speed every time you pass a speed limit sign are getting better with every software update. Or maybe that is just my wishful thinking.
The only advantage of this inconvenience for me is safety related. Occasionally on the freeway that I would forget whether I was in TACC or FSD mode as I would often switch back and forth between the two modes; I would start drifting out of the lane and realize that I was not in autosteer. But as others have suggested a very clear indication of what mode you are in would prevent this from happening.
It is quite clear that Tesla wants everyone to use FSD. The more data they get the better. Not sure when it will stop asking you why you disengaged FSD. There is a long list of reasons. I will sometimes use FSD with Nav just to see how much it has improved. But it is still like baby sitting someone who is learning to drive. It is getting better but not enough. Not sure if Tesla will ever catch up to Waymo without Lidar.

But it is still like baby sitting someone who is learning to drive. It is getting better but not enough.
Yes, it certainly is! I find it fatiguing. I am a new Tesla owner, so can only imagine that earlier versions must have been just awful.

The fact that they just threw out 300,000 lines of code and are now relying on the neural network far more heavily strikes me as an admission that they were way off track all the time when saying that true full self-driving (snoozing driver) would be here by the end of the year... year after year after year. I have no reason to think that the new software approach will work better.