TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is any of the USB port on the Model 3 always on?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by YauKwan, Jun 26, 2018.

1. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

Need to keep a mifi on 24/7 for the car's dashcam.

Was going to hardwire an inverter to the frunk and keep the mifi there, but before i do that are any of the usb ports in the car always on? Are or there any way to keep them always on?

Thanks

2. guri

guri Member

No they turn off when the car turns off. Check some YouTube videos about dash cam installs for Model 3, I think people are tapping into the 12 volt battery for it.

3. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Im interested in hearing the result of this. I have a dashcam in my current car, and havnt taken delivery of my M3 yet. Is it easy to get to the 12V battery from the interior?

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

Be careful about directly tapping into the 12V battery-there are reports that the Model 3 electrical system does not like any accessories pulling power that way and that this somehow triggers a bunch of faults, and sometimes kills the 12V battery. Search these forums (mostly related to dash cam installs). Many folks have had to resort to an independent Li-ion battery pack to maintain power, and hook it up to the 12V accessory (cigarette lighter) outlet circuit in the center console.

• Informative x 1