Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange issue with USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 21 model Y, with the usb-c ports in the center console that support data.

For 3 years, I've been playing music in those ports without issue. Suddenly, out of the blue, when the car goes to sleep and wakes up again, it does not recognize the player plugged into those ports. No error code, just nothing at all. If I do a two button reset, it immediately recognizes it, and plays it, as usual. But as soon as the car goes to sleep, it again doesn't recognize anything plugged into the port at all, when it wakes up.

Anyone else noticed anything like this? Obviously, I can't do a two button reset every time I get in the car. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I had this happen a couple of days ago after a software update. But my car was doing other strange things so losing access to my music usb was the least of my worries.

Yes, I have a model 3 from 2021, and have just started experiencing this exact same issue about since a month ago.

I use the usb c ports from the center console to play music stored on my thumb drive.

never had an issue with it until now.

I have tried another thumb drive, same thing happens.

Is there any way to raise a software bug request with Tesla?

Reactions: Levenkay
Not that I'm aware of, but almost a relief to see I'm not the only one with the issue.
What's really strange, is if the car goes to sleep then charges...it recognizes the USB again. Only after sleeping, with no charging, it stops recognizing it.
I have a service appointment on the 3rd. We'll see...

This also started to happen to me, M3 Y21 LR. I have FLACS on my usb keys. I've had to reboot the damn car a couple of times for it to recognize my USB drives.

I plugged my key into the glovebox port, and this works 100% of the time, but can I play audio and record on this port at the same time? And should I?

I'm not into streaming by browser or phone, since I have high quality FLACS.

Please let me know what the service center tells you, and you can show them this thread!

This also started to happen to me, M3 Y21 LR. I have FLACS on my usb keys. I've had to reboot the damn car a couple of times for it to recognize my USB drives.

I plugged my key into the glovebox port, and this works 100% of the time, but can I play audio and record on this port at the same time? And should I?

I'm not into streaming by browser or phone, since I have high quality FLACS.

Please let me know what the service center tells you, and you can show them this thread!
This got fixed on my car with update 2024.8.7.

If you need access to your usb music sooner, you can use one usb device for both TeslaCam and music but they have to be on separate partitions. There are plenty of posts here giving instructions for how to partition a usb device using a computer but the instructions vary depending on the OS: iOS, Windows, or Linux.

This got fixed on my car with update 2024.8.7.

If you need access to your usb music sooner, you can use one usb device for both TeslaCam and music but they have to be on separate partitions. There are plenty of posts here giving instructions for how to partition a usb device using a computer but the instructions vary depending on the OS: iOS, Windows, or Linux.
I am still on the previous update. I am going to test the two partition option for now and see how that works. Thanks.

First it was the issue with displaying the album covers, now this. This is definitely a low priority on their list.

I am still on the previous update. I am going to test the two partition option for now and see how that works. Thanks.

First it was the issue with displaying the album covers, now this. This is definitely a low priority on their list.
Two partitions should be just fine. I think what happened with the center console bug is few or none of their test vehicles had center console data so they didn't spot the problem with their internal testing. I got 2024.8.7 just a week after 2024.8.4 so I am actually quite pleased with their response time.

Had the USB go away literally the morning I was leaving on a 3k road trip. Don’t know why and had not done a SW update recently. Tried hard reboot, unplug and replug, no luck. Tried another hard reboot a couple of days later and been good since. I also had the right rear camera go black 2k into the trip disabling tacc but after a couple of days started working and been fine since. Don’t know what to think.

Had the USB go away literally the morning I was leaving on a 3k road trip. Don’t know why and had not done a SW update recently. Tried hard reboot, unplug and replug, no luck. Tried another hard reboot a couple of days later and been good since. I also had the right rear camera go black 2k into the trip disabling tacc but after a couple of days started working and been fine since. Don’t know what to think.
FWIW, my car started doing bizarre things about 10 days ago around the time it was trying to download 2024.8.4. The Spotify app stopped working and displayed the screen from whatever the previous audio app was. Even stranger, the car told me that my premium connectivity subscription had expired when it hadn't!

Of course I've had bugs and annoyances but I've never seen such weird behavior before.

My wild guess is there was some sort of bug that randomly takes out various non-critical portions of the system. This might seem like a stretch but this sort of bug is rather common. They are often due to stack overflow or a buffer overflow. It is actual rather dangerous because bugs like this can allow someone to take over control of the car.

It seems unlikely to me that a bunch of weird unrelated bugs all showed up at the same time. It makes more sense to me that there is a common cause for the weirdness. The center console usb going away may be a separate issue.

Just a quick update on this: had my service appointment today, and, as expected, it's a software issue that they say their aware of. No timetable on a fix, or if they even know the root cause. Frankly, it was exactly the answer I was expecting.
I think instead of booking appointments with the service center, going forward, I'll be better off just looking for an Exorcist, or perhaps a Witch Doctor. They would be just as successful, and a lot more fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Levenkay
Well, for some odd reason, my USB key now gets more recognized than it did before. I'm not sure if the latest free FSD update, but there are times when it fails to recognize the key, but not as often.

They don't know the root cause because it's not important on their list of bug fixes.

My USB is recognized after charging. So in the morning, I don't have to restart. It stays recognized as long as I'm out, and sentry mode is on when parked, so the car doesn't fully sleep. It's only if I park at home that the USB goes unrecognized after the car sleeps. In those cases, I just listen to the crappy quality streaming until I charge for the night....starting the cycle again. It's exceptionally frustrating.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
Just finished my mobile service, the tech said that he gets these all the time, its never older cars with USB in arm rest/cup holder center console, and its never newer ones with USB in the glove compartment. He said its always the models (3 and Y) that have the USB under the phone charging pads. He said that he has replaced two USB hubs just today before getting to me (part number FRONT(1522264-00-B)) and he said that from what he has seen that fixes the issue.
One thing that was a bit discouraging is that I was hoping they fixed something in HW to prevent this from happening. One that was pulled out of mine was "Rev 1" it states on the sticker, but he showed me the other two from earlier today that he pulled out and they are "Rev 2". So the issue is not necessarily resolved for the future.

Ill report back if replacing the hub fixes it. (my MCU was already replaced (for another issue) and didnt fix it).

Fix was covered under warranty but before warranty was determined the cost to replace was like $250

Mine is an older one... with the USB's in armrest. I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue. If it was, it wouldn't be so consistent about when it works and when it doesn't. It's software
I also agree that it could be SW, but my logic is this. Glove box uses a different USB Header/Hub, the in arm-rest are mostly older cars with different MCU (not HW#3). Im thinking they perhaps made some change in software and it was not thoroughly tested on this specific hub that is in the center console on Model years 2020 for Y and I think 2018-2020 for Model 3. So it may be a long time before they fix it. Cars after 2020 dont use this hub, and dont have the issue. Especially could be a long fix if it only affects certain revisions of the HUB.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam