Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot as awesome for you as it is for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to love it in extreme traffic conditions.

Meaning that if it's empty I enjoy trying out NoA, and when its jam packed I like EAP.

If it's high speed traffic that's pretty busy then I use TACC only.

NoA would be a lot more useful in traffic if it didn't slow down so much before a lane change or a merge point.

Today, my commute from southern NH to Boston MA took almost 2 hours, most of which was spent crawling southbound on I-93. This would normally be a tremendously frustrating drive, but Autopilot makes it a breeze. My commute used to be the source of endless frustration and general grumpiness. Now I am completely stress free. It's been a totally transformative experience.

I'll admit EAP definitely is unrefined in some situations, where it does indeed feel like a kid going for his/her learner's permit. But crawling through rush hour traffic is, IMO, where EAP is near flawless. Even Tesla seems to think so, given that the nag interval increases dramatically from ~30sec to ~2min when you're stuck in traffic (for those of us who've had EAP for a while, we know that all nags used to be ~2min). Moving at low speeds is inherently less dangerous than at full highway speeds. The only situation that I disengage EAP is when someone cuts me off extremely abruptly. In those situations, I don't want to test to see if the car stops. It very well might, but not worth the collision risk.
I would have to second OPs point!
Especially after owning the Model 3 for the past 11 months and actually seeing how much progress Tesla has made in EAP AP2-2.5 (i also recognized the delay compared to the original promised date from late 2016/early 2017)
We had early 2017 Model S with AP2 that was almost useless.
Back to the original point, EAP takes a lot of stress, even adds more fun as i now able to read a book or people watch as we sit in traffic. :p:D

I have actually timed the difference and it only added 5 minutes to my commute to go the speed limit. No more hitting the break when I see a police car or having to scan the road for cops in the distance. Now I just cruise on by without a concern in the world. I also found it surprising how many people actually do go the speed limit. A whole new world :).
Yeah speeding doesn't save you a lot of time unless you're going a far distance. I've been so much more relaxed driving with EAP. It's probably going to extend my life. :D

Yeah speeding doesn't save you a lot of time unless you're going a far distance. I've been so much more relaxed driving with EAP. It's probably going to extend my life. :D

I can't wait for someone to do a large study on the safety of adaptive cruise control.

Good things:
Increases following distances
Relaxes drivers because it's less stressful
Gives a second set of eyes for moments of inattention
People are less prone to speeding because it's really speed control. Most people don't say "Hey, I want to go 15+ over the speed limit", but they end up doing that with inattention to their speed. So adaptive cruise control has the limit as something a person is okay with (it's pretty average around where I drive).

Bad things:
Might encourage some people to text while driving
False positive braking might cause someone to get rear ended (if the person behind them isn't on ACC)
People might trust it too much and end up rear-ending stalled cars.

If my math is correct:

160 miles at 80mph = 2 hours
160 miles at 65mph = 2 hours 27 minutes. It adds up.

One of my trips is 172 miles door to door.

To be fair part of the trip the speed limit is 70. To me 80mph is not that fast and most cars on California Highways do not drive the speed
limit.

If my math is correct:

160 miles at 80mph = 2 hours
160 miles at 65mph = 2 hours 27 minutes. It adds up.

One of my trips is 172 miles door to door.

To be fair part of the trip the speed limit is 70. To me 80mph is not that fast and most cars on California Highways do not drive the speed
limit.
Yes, for a trip of that length it would definitely make a difference. However, there is so much traffic in CA, it would be hard to average 80mph. Most of the time you can't even average 65mph, which used to really piss me off, but now I just look at how it increases the efficiently and I don't really mind.

I love EAP but tried “navigate on autopilot” for the first time tonight and I am less than impressed. It definitely seems to make autopilot less confident (more phantom braking)
NoA is really nerve wrecking to use. Thee take over alert quite pop up a bit when I use it. The only reason why I'm even willing to use NoA right now is that I want to provide more data to Tesla so they can improve the feature.

NoA is really nerve wrecking to use. Thee take over alert quite pop up a bit when I use it. The only reason why I'm even willing to use NoA right now is that I want to provide more data to Tesla so they can improve the feature.
In your experience.. did it change the behavior of autopilot? I used it on a small section of a freeway I always use with EAP and encountered phantom braking... I had never encountered phantom braking on that stretch before

In your experience.. did it change the behavior of autopilot? I used it on a small section of a freeway I always use with EAP and encountered phantom braking... I had never encountered phantom braking on that stretch before
I have experienced some phantom braking but that has always been the case. I do notice that after version 9 the phantom breaking is less aggressive, more akin to releasing the accelerator on an ICE vehicle vs. slamming on the breaks.

Here are some of the experience I've noticed on NoA that Tesla need to fix:
• When entering the freeway it would sometime get confused when the merge lane ends and prompt the driver to take over.
• When exiting the freeway if there are multiple paths to take (i.e. 2 lanes to turn left and one to turn right), it will get confused and prompt the driver to take over.
• When exiting a ramp that's followed by another ramp (for example take the left exit, keep left at the ramp, keep right at the ramp), it'll get confused and prompt the driver to take over.
• Sometimes it suggests a lane change to an lane that is exiting
• Lane change during heavy traffic is not useful, it doesn't adjust the speed to go into the gap, it will wait for a big enough gap to appear before making the lane change
• Lane change prompt for the exit lane is too late, it usually waits withing a mile to prompt, which is a problem because of the prior issue I listed

All in all I still think NoA is a good start, but it needs a lot of work. I would suggest to use with caution.

Reactions: xav-
Thanks for the feedback. For the phantom braking episode it hit the brakes pretty hard... I was totally caught off guard and didn’t have my right foot close to the gas pedal... it probably took me 2 seconds to react... thank god there was nobody behind me.

As you can see in the video in my OP, I didn't have Nav on Autopilot enabled. For me, this is because my commute is a straight shot down a single interstate, so there actually isn't any difference from before except maybe the car taking my exit by itself.

But even then, the traffic is so bad and variable that the nav is actually changing its exit recommendation several times during the drive. And given the highway is mostly a parking lot, NoA isn't going to be able to change lanes effectively. It's way too timid.

I also turned off the lane change suggestions for similar reasons. It is way too timid and will often swerve back into the original lane after moving half way over. I feel like the AI has a LONG way to go before it can emulate the aggressive style(s) for each locale.

Wonder if I've seen you, I usually get on exit 38/39 on 93 in MA and exit 28-30. AP is now on starting on the ramp and off at the ramp. love it, main reason I got the car.

I do try to look for other Teslas while driving. Easy to do when EAP is on! But I haven't seen many other MSM 3s. On that particular day, I ran into a white Model 3 with the Abstract Ocean "T E S L A" emblem on the back. The T logo was still there, and this guy mounted the letters on the bumper below the edge of the trunk. Looked pretty good there.

I have experienced some phantom braking but that has always been the case. I do notice that after version 9 the phantom breaking is less aggressive, more akin to releasing the accelerator on an ICE vehicle vs. slamming on the breaks.

I've yet to have any phantom braking- only about 3k miles so far, but 80%+ on EAP

Here are some of the experience I've noticed on NoA that Tesla need to fix:
• When entering the freeway it would sometime get confused when the merge lane ends and prompt the driver to take over.

I've not had it do that- but it does seem to not know an entry lane is going away until it literally goes away and it swerves over at the last second.

• When exiting the freeway if there are multiple paths to take (i.e. 2 lanes to turn left and one to turn right), it will get confused and prompt the driver to take over.

This I haven't seen at all though it will tell you as you exit Nav on AP is ending in 600 feet

• When exiting a ramp that's followed by another ramp (for example take the left exit, keep left at the ramp, keep right at the ramp), it'll get confused and prompt the driver to take over.

I've only done this with exit right, then exit right again from the exit/service road- but it has worked 100% so far and I do it daily.

• Sometimes it suggests a lane change to an lane that is exiting

Yup, this happens decently often to me- that and the on-ramp lane going away behavior seem the 2 things most in need of major improvement.

• Lane change during heavy traffic is not useful, it doesn't adjust the speed to go into the gap, it will wait for a big enough gap to appear before making the lane change

Honestly the major problem is it can't see/understand more than a couple cars ahead so it has no understanding WHY traffic is going at the speeds it is in various lanes... so it's fairly often I can look ahead and know a lane change isn't a good idea even though NoA is suggesting it.

For example one spot on my daily drive the highway goes from 3 lanes down to 2.

It usually tells me to get in the right lane (since the left 2 are slowing from the merge)... but I can see/know that before the left merge ends, there's an on-ramp just a bit further down that's going to have the SAME merge issue on the right side slowing THAT traffic down.

So during rush hour (when that on ramp will be packed) my best course is actually to go to the LEFT lane, since that one merges into 1 sooner than the eventual right merge.

But the car thinks "Get in right lane since it's moving a bit faster right this second"

Not sure there IS a fix for this really...

• Lane change prompt for the exit lane is too late, it usually waits withing a mile to prompt, which is a problem because of the prior issue I listed.

Yeah... what it needs to do here is try and figure out if the exit lane is busy or not- if not it can probably wait later, otherwise it can't (without learning to merge in a more aggressively anyway).... but again not sure it can see/understand far enough ahead to actually do this.

This I haven't seen at all though it will tell you as you exit Nav on AP is ending in 600 feet
I saw the prompt for NoA is ending in 600 feet. The exit lane in my case broke out to 3 lanes so it couldn't decided which one to take and promoted me to take over. If the exit lane doesn't branch out, it works really well.
I've only done this with exit right, then exit right again from the exit/service road- but it has worked 100% so far and I do it daily.
The funny thing was that it was doing fine and taking the correct paths until the very last merge. I was pretty impressed until I got the take over prompt.

I've seen quite a few dash cam videos of people having issues with NoA. Seems like it's specific road conditions that it's currently having problems handling.

This thread makes me happy :) Cannot wait to get my car in 2 weeks!!! Sitting in NoVA traffic 35 miles each way
Today, my commute from southern NH to Boston MA took almost 2 hours, most of which was spent crawling southbound on I-93. This would normally be a tremendously frustrating drive, but Autopilot makes it a breeze. My commute used to be the source of endless frustration and general grumpiness. Now I am completely stress free. It's been a totally transformative experience.

I love this thread. EAP was not the main reason to want to get in the Tesla world but it was up near the top and never an option I would consider bypassing. My wife will be happy with less "general grumpiness" after my 35 mile Northern VA commute home every night