Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is camera self-calibration safe enough for FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 passenger side repeater camera housing is loose, causing the camera lens to move a bit. This causes the lane marking visualization to change erratically from straight to curved lines, especially when my car is stopped. Needless to say, I don't trust my car to drive itself.

When Tesla fixes my camera mounting issue, should I get them to re-calibrate it? My understanding is that the standard calibration process is for the technician to place markers at known physical locations. The camera will then compare what it sees as the marker location to the known location.

Now the tech will surely tell me to self-calibrate the camera and save them from doing extra work. But how reliable is this self-calibration? And what evidence do we have that the standard (manual) calibration is more precise?

I’m honestly surprised that the computer is accepting the jiggly input and not flagging it as a dirty or misaligned camera. The manual calibration is almost certainly (I don’t have a service manual to prove it) just to get the camera close enough that the automatic software calibration can compensate for any remaining error. It’s not a superior calibration, it’s just the gross adjustment of the camera to get it within factory specs.