TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is charging available at Tesla Santa Monica?

Discussion in 'California' started by tdiggity, Mar 11, 2013.

1. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

#1 tdiggity, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    If so, how many charging spots are available? Is parking free or metered?

To be clear, the one on the 3rd street promenade.

2. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

I would also like to know the answer to this. Planning on spending part of my kids spring break in Santa Monica at the beginning of April.

3. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Lots of 30amp chargers in Santa Monica. As far as I know there isn't a public 80amp model S wall charger though. The Hawthorne super charger is only about 10mi away as well. Maybe a resident on here with a wall charger will contact you too. Not sure what the Tesla store does--maybe you should give them a ring.

4. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

5. WSE51

WSE51 Member

There is room for one or two cars behind the Tesla store on 3rd street. There is a charger, but when I visited there was a Model S demo vehicle there. I would definitely recommend calling in advance, and not assuming you can charge there. Also it was not a High Powered Wall Charger, I think it was a NEMA 14-50 type plug. It is in the heart of Santa Monica, there must be many public charging stations nearby.

6. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

Exactly! Accessible through the alleyway. Here's a picture:
    IMG_5666.JPG

7. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Looks like a Roadster charger. If they will let you use one of their adapters, you may get 70amps out of it.

8. SeanTek

SeanTek Member

I asked the Santa Monica Tesla store about it, and the Tesla reps said that they do not let Tesla owners park in the back for free charging. The main issue is that they have 1 1/2 spaces, and 1 space is occupied by the test-drive Model S. :crying:

That being said, they also said that the public parking garages just next door have free chargers. I know that the Santa Monica Place mall has chargers; I have not seen the chargers in the City-owned garages personally.

9. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

I successfully charged my car at the City Hall parking structure (Santa Monica Civic Center Parking Structure - Santa Monica, CA - Recargo) this weekend. I had a friend pick me up there on Friday night, and left the car overnight to charge. Charging is free, and parking costs $5/day. When I picked up the car, there were a few volts charging, so try to get there early if you plan to do a 4+ hours of charge. The City of Santa Monica has a fleet of Rav4's (?) that are parked there, but they weren't charging over the weekend. Make sure you go to the structure because it's 24/7. There's an outdoor lot with a row of charging, but you can only stay there for 4 hours.

10. jeffhre

jeffhre Member

Although, 10 miles, is not TEN miles in Sta Monica to Hawthorn traffic.