Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is free supercharging still a thing for Pre 2017 Model S's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Undecided between a Model 3 or an older Model S at the moment.

I have seen in adverts Model S's advertised with "free supercharging for life" - Is this still a valid thing or does it only apply in certain circumstances?

Thanks...

Si

Hi I am interested in buying a 2014 MS currently owned by someone who bought it second hand about 2 years ago from Tesla as one of their used inventory. He has confirmed that he has free supercharging which makes sense as its a pre 2017 car and at the time he would have bought from Tesla I think they still honoured the free supercharging transfer to a new owner.

My question is that now Tesla no longer offer free supercharging on their used inventory - even for pre-2017 cars - will there be any problem with the current owner transferring his free usage to a new purchaser ie me?

Is there anywhere you can access Tesla's policies on this? Thanks

This is taken from “Payment terms for services” link found within the Superchargers section of Support.

Pay Per Use

All vehicles ordered after January 15, 2017, and vehicles ordered by January 15, 2017 but built after April 15, 2017, are enabled for Supercharging on a pay per use basis. Any credits for free Supercharging that are given with the purchase of a vehicle, including any annual renewal of credits, expire upon the sale or transfer of the vehicle and are not transferable to any subsequent vehicle owner, or to any other vehicle. Credits for Supercharging expire after a set period of time and do not rollover into future periods.

Thanks but this is a pre-2017 car. If it had simply been sold from private seller 1 - private seller 2 - me then there should be no issue ie the free SC should transfer. My issue is that it has come back from PS1 - Tesla and then from Tesla - PS2 as used inventory at the time when Tesla still honoured the free SC for used cars they sold. The current owner has got the free SC but now that Tesla no longer provide free SC with their used stock (even pre-2017 cars) will this mean that a sale from PS2 - me will transfer the free SC to me or not?