Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help on "Free Unlimited Supercharging for Life"...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering purchasing a 2016 Model S P90DL from a dealership, which is advertising the car with "Free Supercharging for life." The dealership insists this feature is included, pointing out it's mentioned on the window sticker and demonstrating that they've successfully used a Supercharger at no cost. However, they are unwilling to confirm this in writing, which raises doubts for me.

My skepticism stems from the car's listing photos, which show it has only Standard Connectivity. I was under the impression that cars equipped with Free Supercharging would also come with Premium Connectivity for life. This discrepancy leads me to believe that Tesla may have removed the Free Unlimited Supercharging feature, as it appears they have already removed Premium Connectivity. Im aware that if the car ever ended up back with tesla or perhaps if the previous owner cashed in on a newer Tesla it would have lost these features.

Is it possible for a vehicle to retain Free Unlimited Supercharging while only offering Standard Connectivity? I'm proceeding with the assumption that the Unlimited Free Supercharging may not be guaranteed as part of the deal, which will influence my negotiations on price. Despite the dealership showing evidence of recent free Supercharging sessions, I'm cautious about relying on a feature that can't be formally verified. I just wonder why is it supercharging right now for free?

Can anyone provide insight into whether these features can be decoupled, or share experiences with purchasing used Teslas where similar features were advertised?

Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance.

I'm considering purchasing a 2016 Model S P90DL from a dealership, which is advertising the car with "Free Supercharging for life." The dealership insists this feature is included, pointing out it's mentioned on the window sticker and demonstrating that they've successfully used a Supercharger at no cost. However, they are unwilling to confirm this in writing, which raises doubts for me.

My skepticism stems from the car's listing photos, which show it has only Standard Connectivity. I was under the impression that cars equipped with Free Supercharging would also come with Premium Connectivity for life. This discrepancy leads me to believe that Tesla may have removed the Free Unlimited Supercharging feature, as it appears they have already removed Premium Connectivity. Im aware that if the car ever ended up back with tesla or perhaps if the previous owner cashed in on a newer Tesla it would have lost these features.

Is it possible for a vehicle to retain Free Unlimited Supercharging while only offering Standard Connectivity? I'm proceeding with the assumption that the Unlimited Free Supercharging may not be guaranteed as part of the deal, which will influence my negotiations on price. Despite the dealership showing evidence of recent free Supercharging sessions, I'm cautious about relying on a feature that can't be formally verified. I just wonder why is it supercharging right now for free?

Can anyone provide insight into whether these features can be decoupled, or share experiences with purchasing used Teslas where similar features were advertised?

Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance.
If you're comfortable, could you provide a link?

This is a reasonable skepticism.

What is the ownership lineage of the car? Paying for a carfax report if the dealer doesn't already provide one would probably be a good investment.
I have the Carfax report from the dealership and I will attach it here along with the listing of the car. I really appreciate your guys quick responses and help. If the car doesn't have free supercharging I honestly might just decide to purchase a 2018 Model S 75d with around 90,000kms instead. Its the same price as this 2016 P90D and 100% has free premium connectivity for life.

Attachments

• carfax.pdf
    790.5 KB · Views: 25
This is a reasonable skepticism.

What is the ownership lineage of the car? Paying for a carfax report if the dealer doesn't already provide one would probably be a good investment.

Here is the link:

I have the Carfax report from the dealership and I attached it here but that message is awaiting mod approval. Im wondering if I should even see this car. My appointment is in 2 hours. I really appreciate your guys quick responses and help. If the car doesn't have free supercharging I honestly might just decide to purchase a 2018 Model S 75d with around 90,000kms instead. Its the same price as this 2016 P90D and 100% has free premium connectivity for life.

I know this is easier said than done... take the VIN to a service center and very politely let them know the situation and ask if the car still has SC01 assigned to it. many will not help you, but when the stars align, it will the definitive info you need.

your skepticism is spot on, though

Having standard connectivity is a major indicator that it has been stripped.

One big problem: Cars that are not currently in someone's owner account with Tesla seem to revert to a state where they will have free supercharging, so even being able to do that while the dealer has it is NOT proof of anything.

Source: My sister's 2013 which had "free" supercharging prior to purchase, but as soon as it was in the app... PAY. The company are intentionally obfuscating on this for reasons that make no sense.

@Rocky_H why do you disagree?
Because it's rude and uncalled for.

This was just posted Friday, and it's Monday morning. Maybe they will get back here tonight or tomorrow. People are sometimes busy and have lives. Showing this kind of demanding and impatient attitude you have about how someone has offended you/us by not returning to give their offering of gratitude according to your schedule is a great way to make this forum look terrible.

And this is still useful information for various people who are wondering about how to solve this kind of question when looking at used cars. So "why do we bother?" That's why.

Reactions: Bill Price and cpa
My understanding is that free supercharging plans don't transfer to the next owner. I agree with others on contacting Tesla to know for sure or just assume it won't be free.
Your understanding would be incorrect. MANY cars out there that were originally sold and delivered prior to April 2017 have fully transferable free unlimited supercharging. It's called SC01 in the option codes. If you search and read about that, there's lots to learn about how to check for it.

Don't do Tesla's lies for them - most of the service center droids believe that there is no such thing that EVER existed, b/c they weren't at the company when it did.

They also weren't alive when we landed on the moon, but that did happen too. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Your understanding would be incorrect. MANY cars out there that were originally sold and delivered prior to April 2017 have fully transferable free unlimited supercharging. It's called SC01 in the option codes. If you search and read about that, there's lots to learn about how to check for it.

Don't do Tesla's lies for them - most of the service center droids believe that there is no such thing that EVER existed, b/c they weren't at the company when it did.

They also weren't alive when we landed on the moon, but that did happen too. ;)
I wasn't trying to pass it off as fact which is why I said "my understanding". I wasn't aware that it could be transferred at all anymore.

Manager at local dealer said if it goes to auction, Tesla will remove free super charging before they send it out the door. Cars are showing up on other lots, coming from auction. If u get from private owner it's transferrable. I got mine from private owner. I had to show proof of ownership to transfer in Tesla data base, took week.