Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it bad for the interior to get too hot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla would care about the quality of their MCU not working under high heat, as cabin heat protection turns itself off after 24 hours. At any one day in the summer, thousands if not tens of thousands of Tesla will have cabin temp over 150 degree. They would not want to have every Tesla being recalled! Panel gaps, on the other hand, they don't really care about LOL.
If you look at the high number of Model 3 and Model Y heat pump failures due to bad sensors, bad Octovalve, bad heat pump, etc, if they really cared, they'd stop production, do a root cause analysis, implement a containment plan, implement on a long-term solution, validate the changes, etc.. Are they? No. They don't care. Ship product, fix it later. That, unfortunately, is their quality mentality.

Reactions: Phlier
If you look at the high number of Model 3 and Model Y heat pump failures due to bad sensors, bad Octovalve, bad heat pump, etc,
I've read quite a bit about the sensor problems, but haven't seen anything regarding actual octovalve or heat pump failures. Could you post a link or two? I'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk here, I just try to keep up to date on all of the various issues plaguing Teslas at the moment, and would like to read up on octovalve or heat pump problems.

Edit: As to the OP, I live in the desert southwest, in a town that stays within a few degrees of Las Vegas year 'round. In other words, we have very long, very hot (but at least dry) summers.

We hit over 100F for the first time of the year in May, then from June 1 through the end of September we stay over 100F every day.

I don't bother with cabin overheat protection in my car, and have yet to see any heat related issues. I do use windshield sun shades when the car is parked to prevent sun fade on the interior, though, so I can't really comment on that.

I've read quite a bit about the sensor problems, but haven't seen anything regarding actual octovalve or heat pump failures. Could you post a link or two? I'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk here, I just try to keep up to date on all of the various issues plaguing Teslas at the moment, and would like to read up on octovalve or heat pump problems.
there are a few Tesla Model Y groups on Facebook. This is where I'm reading assorted responses as to what the service centers are replacing. I think there are a few threads on the Tesla Model Y reddit section, too.

• Informative
If you look at the high number of Model 3 and Model Y heat pump failures due to bad sensors, bad Octovalve, bad heat pump, etc, if they really cared, they'd stop production, do a root cause analysis, implement a containment plan, implement on a long-term solution, validate the changes, etc.. Are they? No. They don't care. Ship product, fix it later. That, unfortunately, is their quality mentality.
You would hope that Tesla wouldn't have to touch that hot stove to learn for themselves. A quick glance through automotive history would teach them that it is far less expensive to solve the problem NOW at the cost of a few days of lost production than have to recall and fix potentially hundreds of thousands of cars.

As much as I hate to do it, I completely agree with your post ( I don't mean that on a personal level, I mean it in a "it sucks Tesla is doing this" kind of way). Tesla is going to touch that hot stove. And if they're not careful, it could end up being a very expensive burn.

Reactions: pt19713
You would hope that Tesla wouldn't have to touch that hot stove to learn for themselves. A quick glance through automotive history would teach them that it is far less expensive to solve the problem NOW at the cost of a few days of lost production than have to recall and fix potentially hundreds of thousands of cars.

As much as I hate to do it, I completely agree with your post ( I don't mean that on a personal level, I mean it in a "it sucks Tesla is doing this" kind of way). Tesla is going to touch that hot stove. And if they're not careful, it could end up being a very expensive burn.
I agree. I've worked in automotive, military, and telecom so I have experience with a wide range of quality systems. It boggles my mind that Tesla doesn't appear to do much in terms of root cause / corrective actions. They would rather just ship product, get the sales numbers, and fix things via warranty. I already see the affects browsing the Mach-E forums, where many potential buyers are buying a Ford product because of Tesla's nonchalant approach to quality.

It's embedded in my head how automotive approaches quality - fix the root cause, don't address the symptoms. I'm sure there are plenty of others here familiar with the 8D process and seeing how Tesla deals with quality concerns is frustrating.

where many potential buyers are buying a Ford product because of Tesla's nonchalant approach to quality.
That hidden cost is far more expensive than I think Tesla (or other car makers) realize. How many lost sales are there once a car develops a reputation as being poor quality? The Ford Pinto is a great case to learn from.

Right now, Tesla is in the enviable position of demand > supply. But if the make develops a reputation for poor quality, that could change very quickly.

Sorry for the OT post, but honestly, Tesla's quality problems have me very worried.

Elon needs to read about Hyundai's history. If he did, he'd drop everything he's doing right now, and work on nothing but quality control.

Reactions: pt19713

You think Ford would stop production on the F150 because some cars were losing heat? Or GM stop making Tahoe's? That's totally unrealistic. They'd fix it later just like Tesla. There's too much money at stake. Production stoppages once production has already started are very rare.

Reactions: PackMan730
BTW, I turned off my car's cabin overheat protection not because I didn't want the extra energy usage. I turned it off after a year because of the mildew smell in the car. I believe the older software did not keep the fan running long enough after A/C is off, so eventually you get that funny smell in the car when you get back in. I read here that if you turn off Cabin Overhead Protection, the A/C does not turn on/off all day long, you have less chance of this problem. Sure enough after turning it off, the smell was gone. I think Tesla has fixed the software problem, so I could turn it back on, but I really don't need it so I just did not bother.
Get one of those charcoal filters on Amazon. Helps with any smell plus it soaks up humidity in the car.

Look, I got my Model 3 before Cabin Overheat Protection was a “thing”, and it survived a Phoenix summer just fine. Like all cars, it’s designed to handle that heat (though my fingers were not. Ouch!)

Where the heat will bite you in the hind end is “Time”. At high temps, the plastics in the interior (dash, seats, connectors, etc), adhesives, and even electronics will degrade faster than at reasonable temps. At the ten year mark, a Phoenix car that habitually parks in the sun is much more likely to have issues with cracked or torn seats or trim or other plastics than a ten year old Tesla that spent its life in Fremont. And that’s not a truth that applies just to Tesla; if you believe it is, the plastic diverter vane in the ductwork of my Expedition would like to have a word with you.