Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it mandatory for you to put that ugly sticker to your tesla to use the carpool lane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not have any electric vehicle so I do not know the rule. However, I often see a sticker on the back of the tesla vehicle because I heard that you need that to use the carpool lane.

Why would you need to have that sticker? Would people already know that a Tesla is full electric and not a hybrid. So should the Tesla not need that sticker?

I ask this because I do not want to use that sticker on my 2020 Roadster. The sticker just make the car look cheap and make it less pleasant looking.

There is no way that I will put that sticker on my 2020 Roadster. I rather not use the carpool lane.

You must have those stickers to use the carpool lane.

This is because the allocation for those stickers can expire or run out, so even if you wanted the sticker, there are cases (they'll be more regular soon) where you may not be able to get them.

Also note that as of March 2018 the white stickers are only valid until March 2019 and all new stickers (through March '19) are red. As of March '19, they'll be a new color and need an annual renewal.

I can second the above response. I know someone who was pulled over, cop didn't notice the sticker at first. He saw it as he walked up and told them it was a mistake, but that he was watching for EVs without the sticker who were "cheating" using the lane.

Also, if you're on 15, just pay the toll instead. No need for the ugly sticker.

• Informative
Reactions: Chewy3
THE CORRECT ANSWER IS "NO".

I say that because if you have two or more persons in the vehicle you may drive in the HOV lane without a sticker.

My wife will not allow any sticker, bumper or otherwise, destroy the beauty of her car. Same with the Leaf before the Tesla. In both cases other than the daily commute we are both in the vehicle while driving and using the HOV lanes, and there is no HOV lane to use for the commute. We did not even apply for a sticker with either car.

cop...was watching for EVs without the sticker who were "cheating" using the lane.

It's this mindset on the part of "law enforcement" that is the larger problem. An EV cannot grow a tailpipe. At worst, the EV owner may be guilty of not paying their $8 (now $22) - neverminding the fact that Tesla owners pay a disproportionately higher tax already in the form of inflated registration fees. Keeping that reality in mind, EVs (at least Tesla owners) are not "cheating".

The entire situation is disgraceful. Completely apart from the intent of the law (EVs incented to buy same with carpool lane access), these publicly-funded employees divert themselves from the mission of public safety (cheating the citizen of their due protection, if anything) in favor of lazy by-the-letter ticket and revenue generation.

Those who are more comfortable with the groupthink may stuff their disagrees in advance.

Agreed that it appears we're going to get another not-so-hidden tax in the form of an annual EV carpool lane access tax. You know, just to ensure that we "pay our fair share". You want fair? Charge by weight and mileage.

What a crock.

I do not commute to work here in Southern California where work traffic is crazy. But sometimes I am alone and need to use the Car Pool Lane (not often). When I do I tape the sticker to the back window. Have not been pulled over yet but my guess is they will make me pay but I have weighed the options and decided I do not want those "3" ugly stickers on my car. I really think there should be a license plate option of some kind.

I do not commute to work here in Southern California where work traffic is crazy. But sometimes I am alone and need to use the Car Pool Lane (not often). When I do I tape the sticker to the back window. Have not been pulled over yet but my guess is they will make me pay but I have weighed the options and decided I do not want those "3" ugly stickers on my car. I really think there should be a license plate option of some kind.

While quite partial to my legacy plate, I would happily give it up for an EV/AltFuel plate that would dispense with this sticker silliness. I don’t care if the new plates are plaid or purple - just get it done.

Revenue-grubbing bureaucrats and the duly elected should love the plate concept. First, there are already quite a few non-standard plates from which to choose - adding one more is relatively trivial. Second, they can crank up the annual fees for those just as easily as playing games with stickers.

Clearly, leaving stickers for lowly hybrids would be too simple.

Reactions: CaryRx
I guess if you are spending $200K for a Roadster, another $800 for a license plate isn't a biggie :cool:. T-Sportline video talking about the new e-plate available for folks in California. One of the "coming soon" features is relevant to our discussion here. Go to around 5:20 in the video.

Inflatable copilot.

upload_2018-7-28_17-50-43.jpeg

Reactions: TarmacSurfer
I am in Northern California and I keep my receipt and the 3 stickers in my glovebox. I’ve been stopped once and when the cop walked up and asked why I was in carpool lane alone, I said I paid the fee and showed him the stickers. He asked why I didn’t have them on the car and I said that I was having my, “detail guy” apply them because I had PPF and didn’t want to screw anything up. He said, “ok”. I purposely played stupid and if he wants to be petty, I’ll be petty. No way you get a ticket or a judge makes you pay a fine because stickers weren’t installed. If you paid and have them, you’ll walk away.

It's this mindset on the part of "law enforcement" that is the larger problem. An EV cannot grow a tailpipe. At worst, the EV owner may be guilty of not paying their $8 (now $22) - neverminding the fact that Tesla owners pay a disproportionately higher tax already in the form of inflated registration fees. Keeping that reality in mind, EVs (at least Tesla owners) are not "cheating".

The entire situation is disgraceful. Completely apart from the intent of the law (EVs incented to buy same with carpool lane access), these publicly-funded employees divert themselves from the mission of public safety (cheating the citizen of their due protection, if anything) in favor of lazy by-the-letter ticket and revenue generation.

Those who are more comfortable with the groupthink may stuff their disagrees in advance.

Agreed that it appears we're going to get another not-so-hidden tax in the form of an annual EV carpool lane access tax. You know, just to ensure that we "pay our fair share". You want fair? Charge by weight and mileage.

What a crock.
That what happens in dem controlled cities.

Reactions: The Lads and AMPd
I guess if you are spending $200K for a Roadster, another $800 for a license plate isn't a biggie :cool:. T-Sportline video talking about the new e-plate available for folks in California. One of the "coming soon" features is relevant to our discussion here. Go to around 5:20 in the video.

Watching the video I wasn’t able to figure out a couple of things. Are two plates (front and rear) included for $800+install or are they $800 each + install of each? Does the DMV have direct access to the GPS data/can the GPS be disabled? Teslas already have GPS location in the Tesla app, other than tracking the plate if it’s stolen I don’t see a use (is there a battery in it? How would it track the plate itself without a battery?)

I do not have any electric vehicle so I do not know the rule. However, I often see a sticker on the back of the tesla vehicle because I heard that you need that to use the carpool lane.

Why would you need to have that sticker? Would people already know that a Tesla is full electric and not a hybrid. So should the Tesla not need that sticker?

I ask this because I do not want to use that sticker on my 2020 Roadster. The sticker just make the car look cheap and make it less pleasant looking.

There is no way that I will put that sticker on my 2020 Roadster. I rather not use the carpool lane.
You can probably buy something like the link below that has a magnetic side that you put onto the car. The other side you would add the hov lane sticker. That way when you think you may go in the carpool lane, you can take it out of your car and slap it on for that trip.

What a crock.
Since March ‘21 I have been using the carpool lane solo (5,10,101,405,210, all of them) without a sticker. I have not been pulled over (yet) and refuse to put a sticker on my car. I paid the $22 and have my stickers in my glovebox untouched. I figure that in the event I get an a-hole CHP trying to verify that I’m not “cheating” that he/she would understand that I don’t want to make my beautiful car look like every Prius.
The idea that someone using an EV in a carpool lane illegally is dumb. The purpose of the HOV lane is identical to the concept of EV’s. Any cop who wants to earn his/her $65k/year by giving me a hard time can suck it.

Reactions: Scubamikey