TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is it possible to upgrade an 85D to P85D?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chasedrgc1223, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

I've had an 85D since March and absolutely love it, however I'd like to know if it's possible to get it upgraded to a P85D just for the hell of it. Anyone know??

2. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    Pretty sure you can't. The whole rear drive unit is different.

3. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

If history serves, it will not be Tesla's policy to upgrade a car.

But as a thought expeciment: As I understand it, the rear unit is a different setup so the would require replacing. It's possible the cabling is different to handle higher currents, then there's the much discussed fuses which may or may not be different from the 85D. The software's different too, but for all we know it could be the switch of a few bits.

That said, I'm sure it's possible to do with enough money, knowledge, parts and equipment, but it'd be more cost effective to trade.

4. SamT

SamT Member

It will be expensive even if you can upgrade. Better to sell the 85D and buy the latest P90D with Ludicrous mode.

5. DougH

DougH Active Member

Sell it and buy a P85D.

6. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

I don't think I need a P85D enough to sell it... I'm still in love with my car!